1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tom Kennedy

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bass_Thumper, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    So I got a chance to see Tom Kennedy play with Lee Ritenour and Friends this past weekend. They were splitting a bill with Spyro Gyra. Needless to say that between Tom Kennedy and Scott Ambush, I was in bass heaven.

This was the first time that I've seen Tom Kennedy and was very impressed with his playing and tone. He was using a Fodera Emperor Standard and was sounding great. I'm not sure what the backline was but I'm guessing that it was the standard SWR SM900 that you see so often.

Anyway, after seeing the show, I had to have some more so I downloaded a couple of Dave Weckl records off Amazon and am even more amazed at his playing.

What other records would anyone suggest picking up. I noticed that a lot of the records that he's played on aren't for sale as downloads and with some you can't hear any samples.

Any help is appreciated and I'm really surprised that I'm just now getting into him. I've heard him on some tunes by Mike Stern in the past but as good as he is, I would expect more name recognition. Maybe I've just been under a rock. :)

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
  3. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    Thanks a lot! Yeah Swunk is a cool song for sure. I'll check those others out for sure. Looks like I'll have to break down and order the actual discs. :)