1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tone help???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ScreaminSGs, Apr 25, 2010.

1. A friend of mine recently bought a G&L Tribute L2000.
    It has 2 humbuckers with active electronics.
    I played it at a jam and it sounds great!
    Lots of highs but not scratchy and lots of lows but really well defined. Playing with my fingers could have passed for playing with a pick, it was that well defined.

I'm having a double neck built, 6 string and bass.
    I would like to come close to that sound on the bass without active electronics.
    Both pickups are pretty close together and very near the bridge. Is the pickup position mostly responsible for that tone, or is it the humbuckers, the electronics, or all of the above?

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    Good luck

3. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Good tone is primarily a function of your touch. So practice your ass off and you will sound good on anything.

If you like the tone of a specific set of pickups, well there is your answer. Get them. What I like is not relevant, what anybody else likes in not relevant.

If you playing a double neck, save you money for the chiropractor. Not sure what the attraction to that concept is, but good luck with that. I would rethink that decision. In the end you may end up with an axe you don't want to play and can't easily resell. From your profile it looks like you don't own a decent axe aside from your Ric. Why not start there.

4. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
  5. Thanks for the link.
    I only played it once and I didn't think about trying to duplicate the tone until a few days later. The guy that owns the bass is going to bring it over and we'll delve in a little deeper. I'll try it in passive and see what it's like!

Then again I guess I should pratice playing my other basses the way I did my friends G&L then I'll get the same sound!!!!;)