1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tone Warmth

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by glasser_cannon, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Hey, so I'm looking for a distortion that won't really add gain but more of a warmth to my tone. I wrote a song and my clean tone doesn't fit well with the other instruments and my ProCo Rat just has way to much fuzz. Any ideas on what I could do to warm the tone up, maybe a different distortion pedal?

2. infectedbyevil

infectedbyevil

Jun 23, 2014
    israel
    Darkglass b3k !!! Best overdrive for bass with low end.Sansamp bass driver great preamp with sweet tube amp sound.

TonyP- likes this.
  3. Aguilar Tone Hammer is all about warm, at least to my ears.

Fairfield Barbershop or a Blue Tube would be a couple of other good options.

IMO, the BxK pedals have a lot of upper mid grindiness that is the opposite of warm. Doesn't mean they are bad, I just don't hear them as warm at all.

kesmit and /\/\3phist0 like this.
  4. infectedbyevil

infectedbyevil

Jun 23, 2014
    israel
    For my ears b3k on fat mode and drive about 8 sounds realy warm.my sansamp bass driver has also warm sound but less overdrive than b3k. I didn't play tone hammer but i know aguilar makes good products. Check videos on youtube.

huckleberry1 likes this.
  5. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator

May 9, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    I run my B3K into an MXR 6 Band and boost around the 1khz area, running into a flat BDDI setting on my B3 I can get an extremely tubey sound out of it, I love it! I have all knobs at 11 and the Fat boost on. Really sweet breakup area when you dig in harder

6. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I have both the VMT and the B7K and I would say that the VMT is much more warm than the B7K - that I love particularly because it is edgy and cuts through the mix.

adi77 and BIG97BEN like this.
  7. jking138

jking138

Oct 6, 2013
    If you want a clean signal but warmer, you said your clean tone doesn't fit but you don't really want to add gain, then just turn your tone down some and play with a softer finger style.
    Otherwise your just spending money on a pedal that you'll only use occasionally and takes up space on your board.

Frenchy-Lefty likes this.
  8. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    :meh:

The B3K is great at what it does, but that doesn't mean it's the answer to everything!

9. BIG97BEN

BIG97BEN

Sep 12, 2011
    Richmond VA
    I was using the B3K for this exact reason and was getting great results, but after listening to some of the effects guys I got a VMT to try out. I was very impressed, the VMT warmed everything up very nicely and allowed me to use the B3K for grind. If warmth is what you are looking for and you want to go the Darkglass rout, I would start with the VMT.

10. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I could suggest the same as some, Darkglass makes some really good stuff that is really versatile. The VMT sounds like it may be more what you are looking for. But, if that doesnt strike your fancy, and I cant speak from exp on this one, maybe look into the Fairfield Barbershop. That is supposed to be a very transparent OD that is barely they even when dimed. It adds just a little grit. I also think the Beta drive may get you there too if youre looking to stay on the darker side of OD. I can tell you that the Blower Box by Idiot Box is a Rat clone of sorts. BUT, it does a light OD extremely well. That one I have exp with. Ive also heard the Nobels ODR1 is a nice, transparent OD that sounds great as well.

The only ones Ive had actual exp with are Darkglass and the Blower Box. The others Ive heard plenty about. Have you thought about a VT bass by Tech 21? Nice Ampeg type sounds and drive. The Joyo American is a much cheaper version of that of sorts. I also dig the Boss ODB3 for aggressive and gritty tones. Then you have the Source Audio OFD that will go every which way as far as dirt is concerned. Or even an EBS valve drive or BK Blue Tube...... Its endless man!! ;)

ba55i5t, blindrabbit and Mosfed like this.
  11. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Dave Hall Amps VT1-EQ bass drive is very warm-sounding, to me anyway.

12. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    The Fairfield Barbershop is really good at adding varying levels of warmth. For subtle stuff, the SFX Micro Red Dragon is really great. The Fairfield Accountant is also a good choice if you want to add a bit of compression and warmth. The SolidGold FX Beta is also a great more vintage sounding choice.

The WH Pork Loin is another nice pedal but it can be muddy for some people's tastes. The SA OFD can definitely nail some BlueTube tones if you want something like that, it can also do OCD like tones, and a bunch of tube tones, to varying degrees.

Then you have the B3K/B7K/VMT/VMT Deluxe. Those are all very nice but I think they really depend on what you are looking for. They seem to be hit or miss depending on people's tastes, but far more Hit than miss.

Honestly, all of those and the ones that were mentioned by the others are all great choices. You just have to go down the proverbial OD rabbit hole to figure out what you want in the end. JohnK's site and MrExcane's demos can help you a lot.

Stevorebob and blindrabbit like this.
  13. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm going to recommend probably the cheapest alternative that is completely beyond anyone's radar here. I use one for a bit of low end beef and additional gain, but you can dial the gain back as well...

The Ibanzez BB9 Bottom Booster.
    That's right, I just recommended an Ibanez pedal.

It's actually a great sounding pedal that really does add a nice bit of round oomph, and has a very musical gain stage to it. I've only found one pedal that is as musically comparable to its tone IMO, and that is the MojoHand DMBL. That one retails at $180, whereas you can get the BB9 for $50. I highly recommend giving it a spin if you can.

14. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    blue tube 903 might work for you

blindrabbit likes this.
  15. The Darkglass B3K defintely has the sound I'm looking for and a lot of extra features that I like, but it's really out of my price range right now. I'm thinking I'm gonna go with the Aguilar Tone Hammer that blindrabbit mentioned, it sounds really nice plus I need to start EQing my basses better. Gonna check out that P-oddz's Ibanez BB9 first though since it's only $50, figure that's an extra $120 that I'll have for gas if it does what I need it to do. Thanks everyone, you really helped me out a lot!!

blindrabbit likes this.
  16. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Maybe it is not the distortion pedal but rather your EQ that needs to be changed.

For a warmer tone dial in low mids.

17. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    If you want options, I'd suggest the SA OFD. TONS of options and EQ. Plus it has about 5 different OD selections on it that could help you get to where you'd like to be. Unless you need the DI in the tone hammer that is. Plus the OFD is $170 new. Cheaper than a TH I think. Could he wrong there.

Killing gods

18. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator

May 9, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    Heck keep an eye on the classifieds here. People are selling it for $110... I'd be mad because resale's shot if I ever wanted to sell it, but I'm never going to sell it, so...

gregmon79 likes this.
  19. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    OP - you never mentioned your amp/gear or settings.
    Before you go spending money... maybe you don't necessarily need a pedal to fix your tone, but rather could learn some EQ tricks(?)

20. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I know someone just said it earlier, but this is a good point. This could all be moot if you have an Ampeg SVT or something like that. Ive learned tons the last few months about EQ and its done nothing but good.