1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ToneBone v. Sans Amp Bass Driver Deluxe

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by DZIB, Jul 21, 2012.

1. DZIB

DZIB

Jun 20, 2006
    Hi -
    I am looking for a non-obtrusive way to take two basses and run them into my amp. I would like as much transparency as possible from the DI/preamp. Both basses are passive. I'm running - NS WAV 4 and a stock Jazz bass into Ampeg Portaflex 500 head - Carvin 4X10 Red-Eye Cab. My issue is that the Portaflex only has one channel. So I am probably going to set the amp as flat as possible and then tweak the two basses with the preamp.

Of these two products, what are your thoughts??

2. ironreverend

ironreverend

Jun 30, 2004
    I don't have any experience with the tone bone, but I do with the Sansamp, their stuff is fantastic. I would trust it in any situation

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The Bassbone is your friend here. The Sans Amp is super colored and IMO not in a good way if you already like the sound of your rig. The ParaDrive is a much better device but you need two of those.

Lot's of folks say they like the BDDI and lots of those show up used... I'm guessing they love it until they actually hear something clean... Assuming the rest of their rig is in order...p

If you could find a setting on your rig that would work for both basses, then the Korg PitchBlack + is a nice option. Two basses in, each on it's own tuner and 1 channel out. I used that with a pair of Para Drivers before migrating back to the Bassbone. Advantage there was a separate DI for each bass. Disadvantage was that I wired to the ParaDrivers first so no mute on the tuning. Not a big deal as my tuning doesn't tend to drift much. Still the Bassbone is clean.

I run a standard Pitch Black on the BB tuner out and a shorting plug in the loop to get tuning mute. No sound guy has ever asked me to use his DI when I offer him the Radial... I have had a couple look at my U5 and go ? Until they hear it of course...

4. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    The Bass Driver is colored, and thanks for that, as many like the bass tone to be colored. How many amps would there be out there if all amps gave exactly the same sound?? All amps are colored, but as with colors, some like blue some like red. I like SanAmp, and certainly the BDDI tone. It is not my dream "rig" but for the simplicity, price and functionality the SanAmp is a damn good preamp.

5. I have both and I use the bassbone or a Boss LS-2 (with a dummy 1/4" jack). The LS-2 is a valid option. As is the more expensive EBS Microbass:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/ebs-microbass-ii-bass-preamp-pedal

Also, the Microbass has a dedicated send and return for other pedals, whereas the Bassbone needs an insert cable for other effects - which is OK, but is comparatively inelegant in the context of a pedalboard.

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I believe the 'take away' from my post was that If you are satisfied with the sound of your rig, then the BDDI is not a great choice as it will fundamentally change things... For the better ? for the worse ? That would of course be up to the user to decide. For me, it was for the worse. The BDDI's stable mate the Para Driver will do the emulation thing but will also go clear and uncolored enough for acoustic guitar or keys. With sweepable mid it fit my needs far better. Then again my rig is pretty highly dialed in so I don't want much of a change...