1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"tonestyler"

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by williamk, Aug 16, 2012.

1. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008

anyone has one of those?

2. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    Yes. I have two of them in my modified Epiphone Flying "V", and am having two more installed in the Squier Jaguar SS that is nearing completion. I like the variance in tones it allows.

3. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    how much did it cost you?

4. eloann

eloann

May 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    I put one in a cheap but pretty P/J Vester (along with Fralin pickups) and really liked it. So much I actually took it out and sent it to a luthier for a build due feb-mar 2013.

Settings with big cut retain much better definition than the usual tone pot. I also like being able to recall exact settings, thanx to the notched rotation. It is however kind of pricey (99$ for mine) - one could make some kind of substitute out of a 12 pos. rotary switch and a bunch of caps for much cheaper, though it wouldn't yield the exact same result.

Make sure your cavity isn't extra tight ; I had to widen the Vester's a bit to fit it in.

5. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I recently picked up the outboard version (found it used on ebay). I like what it offers. No question there are tones in there that I'll never use, but the capacitance changes incrementally and there are several very usable ones. I find cutting the highs and not losing the mids to be a handy thing.

There's enough variety that you'll find a couple of useful tones for any bass. The unit I have is dead quiet and it has a true bypass setting.

It's not a tone grail, but it can be very useful.

Read here for more Varitone discussion:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/does-varitone-cut-boost-midrange-786403/

6. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    I usually run the one on my neck pickup full bass or close to it, then blend in the bridge pickup and the amount of high/mid I want right then.

Gives me full thump, with enough mid/highs for definition.

7. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    If you want more treble roll-off available on your tone pot, double the value of the capacitor attached to it. If that's still not enough, double it again.

If you feel you're missing treble content before you start to turn down the tone control, replace your 250k pots with 500k pots.

My current Squier Jazz has 500k pots and a 0.1uF tone cap, plus a series/parallel switch for the pickup phase. It can do typical Jazz sounds and can also turn into a full-on dub machine just using the onboard controls. The replacement electronics cost me a couple of quid.

So how expensive is this thing that has its own promotional video?

8. I've got one in my P-bass and I love it. I couldn't possibly demo it like Garth can, but it really does give more tonal options.

I got mine on here and I think it was in a trade, but they're roughly $100.