1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tony Franklin Fretless or Warwick Corvette Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Malachi71, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Malachi71

Malachi71

Oct 11, 2007
    I'm looking to buy a fretless. I know there are many choices besides what I've listed in the title. I'd appreciate some feedback on which you would choose.

2. Alfik

Alfik

May 25, 2008
    If You like muddy lifeless tone wchich will be lost in the mix just when guitarist turn on his amplifier Buy warwick. If You like to be heard regardles of music situation and like an instrument which mix well in almost any mix with any band... Buy Fender Tony Franklin.

3. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

I prefer the Stingray 5 fretless myself

4. Malachi71

Malachi71

Oct 11, 2007
    Thanks for the input. This is the kind of info I'm looking for. Anyone else (especially those that have played both)?

5. PlatypusBassist

PlatypusBassist

Jun 15, 2011
    If I was getting a Warwick fretless it'd be the thumb from the sounds from what I've heard of it, it sounds fantastic

6. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    Said no one. Ever.

7. willsellout

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I've played both. They are both great, and they are both great fretless basses, which may sound funny, but trust me. The Tony Franklin is a killer bass, pure and simple. The Warwick can be heavy and the ergonomics aren't as good. The tone is killer though with tons of that fretless mwah that you look for. The Tony Franklin has a bit more going for it tone-wise, I think it' also looks cooler than the Warwick. I much prefer the Warwick neck to the Franklin's P bass neck.

The Warwick can be found significantly cheaper on the used market.

Both great basses, but if I had to pick one it would be the TF.

8. I have a Thumb fretless. It sounds amazing.

9. Malachi71

Malachi71

Oct 11, 2007
    I think I'm going with the TF. Thanks for the responses.

10. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    Good call. I used a warwick corvette for years, but the tone lacked a lot of punch and didn't mix well in sessions.

Sucks because I really liked the feel of it, but I definitely prefer Fender.

11. coyote1

coyote1

Mar 23, 2012
    I have a Corvette fretless, and the tone is great. Unclear to me how you'd have difficulty to get it to sit well in a mix.

12. willsellout

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I found they cut through just fine, but if you are having trouble, people might want to look at their amp settings. Those basses have quite a bit of mid presence and I never had any issues finding a place in the mix.

13. 4andnomore

4andnomore

Nov 14, 2008
    Dunno 'bout Warwick but TF fretless is killer - cuts like a buzz saw or can sit in real friendly like.