1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tony kills it with Crim...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Michedelic, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

A tale of two cities...I saw King Crimson at LA’s fabled Greek Theater(almost 6K capacity)a few days ago, and last night at Denver’s historic Paramount theater, a classic 2,000 seater, both shows packed. Both nights, just brutal and nuanced at the same time, transcendent, the only thing I could compared it to would another KC tour, one in the 90’s when Belew was still in the band with the six piece. The three drummer thing was amazing, space given when needed, and fierce competition at other times. Tony got his solo shot when “Moonchild” segued into his explorations on electric upright; plenty of Stick work, of course, but the 5-string Music Man still got time in the spotlight, especially on “Red”, “Easy Money”, “Starless”, and an intense “Schizoid Man”, the(what else?)encore in Denver(skipped in LA, the final tune was “Starless”).
    Overall, the Denver show had the edge; Jakko J’s voice was a little roadworn at the earlier show, but his Greg Lake-like singing was in fine form last night(and no slouch on guitar either, he was playing some of Fripp’s parts while Ol’ Bob shred like crazy). Which brings me to the subject that pops up here about being ‘too old to play’; at 73 he is still jaw dropping. In fact, the whole band, playing such intense, intricate music night after night, it’s beyond belief.
    What was especially poignant is that, with the expanded band and technology, they could do lush stuff like “In The Court..” and it was all there, even beyond the original recording, no mere ‘copy the record’.
    Coming up in a couple of weeks they play The Ryman in Nashville, home of the Grand Ole Opry. I can’t help but think it might go like the Bob’s Country Bunker scene in the Blues Brothers movie.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  2. cornfarmer

cornfarmer jam econo

May 14, 2002
    Have you ever even been to Nashville?

3. Michedelic

Settle down, that was a joke, son. If, by your question, you were implying that I think Nashville is still a country bumpkin ‘burg, of course it’s not. I have some aquaintances who live there, and I’m fully aware that there’s rock, R’n’B, folk, etc. scenes there, let alone a modern day hipster contingent. At the Ryman, coming up, in addition to the country acts you’ve got everything from Marina(of The Diamonds)to Sheryl Crow to Snarky Puppy to Lizzo, but none of that comes even close to the face melting riffs from hell that KC dishes up. I’d guess that there will be time signatures heard at the Ryman that haven’t been heard there before, if not a little culture shock for some employees. Look, I’ve been a fan for decades, even had a couple of occasions to converse with Fripp, and yeah, he’s a character, someone that’s easy to poke fun at, let alone people’s potential reaction to him and his music. To think of them to tread the same boards as Hank, it’s a bit of a giggle, they’re not exactly smooth sailing. To answer your question, if I’ve ever been to Nashville, ‘ever’ as in EVER? Sure, in 1968, when I was a kid, on a family vacation, back when they were barely allowing drums on the stage of the Ryman(after the period of never allowing drums on stage). Originally being from Missouri, I’ve been to Branson. Bakersfield, too. Does that count?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    woodyng2 likes this.
  4. cornfarmer

cornfarmer jam econo

May 14, 2002
    Why don't you go visit, pops? Your preconceived notions could mostly be thrown out the window. There's a sh1t load of more stuff going on since I left. I'm pretty sure people working at the Ryman aren't going to get upset by 'different' music. They've been slowly diversifying shows ever since they started fixing up the place in the '90s.

They call it Music City, USA.

MrLenny1 likes this.
  5. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Oh man!
    I can second this. I saw them on the first night in Oakland (so just between your shows). A phenomenal concert; perhaps the only other show that comes close for me was Crimson in 1981 in Berkeley.

As you say, Tony was in fine form. He can do...anything he wants. You are correct, his solo in Moonchild was wonderful.

But yes, we did not get Schizoid either. It would have been nice but the set list was wonderful.

The three drummers were so fun to watch. Gavin is simply off the charts.

woodyng2 likes this.
  6. I'm gonna assume this was a follow-up rage post and you didn't actually see his response to you.

7. You're sure making me think I need to see this tour. I saw them during the Discipline tour back in the day (I know, don't hate me); glad I got to see Bruford and Levin together. But that was not any kind of legacy tour so they didn't do much of their older material. I'd kill to hear them do ITCOTCK live.

bassrique and Indiedog like this.
  8. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Yes. I strongly encourage it. But your opportunities are dwindling so get to work on tix and flights!

9. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    I am a big KC fan. I saw them in this incarnation on their first tour. But I was a bit disappointed. The three drummer thing is too much for me and I don't like the new singer that much. I missed Belew. Also they hardly played any new stuff. Just reviving their old songs. For me KC stands for innovation and progression and that is not what this incarnation does.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  10. cornfarmer

cornfarmer jam econo

May 14, 2002
    you assumed wrong.

11. Davidg

Davidg Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2009
    I am selling two tickets to King Crimson @ Radio City (NYC) on Saturday September 21. $135 each. Good Orchestra seats. See Tony (and THREE drummers) in all their live glory.

These are physical printed tickets, not e-tickets, so you would have to meet me at the show and be on time (7:45 for 8:00). This is an "evening of" thing so Crimson is the only act.

PM me if interested and we'll make arrangements.

12. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Oh man!
    I encourage anyone to go.

Concert of a lifetime.

13. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    Saw them when this lineup first started touring. Amazing.

14. Michedelic

How was it too much? They have been, on occasion, a two drummer band since 1973, and this time around, Jeremy Stacey spent half his time playing keyboard(and very well at that). Many times one was keeping the core beat while the other(s) played embellishing percussion. One of the peak moments of the show was a three-way solo where they essentially finished each other’s conversation, brought the house down.

Reviving their old songs? That was the point of this tour, touted as a 50 year celebration of “ITCOTCK”. What’s wrong with that? They have a legacy. I don’t think any earlier incarnation would have pulled off the title track as well as this bunch did. If they don’t play “Schizoid Man”(as they didn’t in LA), I feel cheated. “Starless” was breathtaking. As far as ‘innovation and progression’ goes, they kinda drifted away from that with the mid-90’s line-up; it just seemed like a reboot of the 80’s band with two more members and just some token new ideas. All those subsequent side projects, as cool as they might have been, seem to dilute the impact of the main band.
    As far as Jakko goes, sure, he’s not very dynamic, but isn’t that bad on vocals(recalling Greg Lake at times), and can basically keep up with Fripp on guitar. By all indications, Fripp was tired of butting heads with Belew. If you miss him, he’s touring now, doing plenty of KC material. Belew was but one part of the band’s entire legacy. Hell, I miss John Wetton. The thing is, KC ‘resting on its laurels’, so to speak, is still way ahead of most modern day bands out there. And any current band attempting some sort of ‘progression’, where do you think they got the idea from?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    Indiedog likes this.
  15. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    I really liked the 90's incarnation. The double trio and also the quartet with Belew and Trey Gunn. I like it much more than the new line up. It's more adventurous. So I disagree that it is was just reviving the 80s stuff. I love the Thrak album and Construction of Light. I like all KC lineups. But this one doesn't do it for me. I miss the experiment and searching for new territory. They play the old stuff well but I am more interested in new stuff. If I want to hear the old stuff I will put on their CD's.

And yes I saw the Belew trio live a few times and also the KC project. I liked it very much.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  16. Davidg

Davidg Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2009
    This current lineup is extraordinary. Think of an orchestra or long running jazz combo doing the repertoire instead of a tired old prog band going through the paces while trying to replicate 50 year old recordings.
    This is the grandest most majestic live Crimson. The music is rearranged in subtle but (age) appropriate ways. Less Fripp, more sax solos for instance. Bringing out jazzy elements that have always been there.
    I had my doubts about the three drummer front line when I went to see them in 2014 but instead of the bombast I expected I heard an extremely well rehearsed and arranged percussion section that still left plenty of room for all three to show their stuff.
    Did it sometimes seem unnecessary? Well yeah, some of the stuff could have been done with just two, or even one, drummer but when they all played at once it was like a giant pulverizing musical machine marching with relentless inevitability. Good stuff. Do I miss the now retired Mr. Bruford? Yes, of course. Is Gavin Harrison one of the great drummers on the planet today? Most certainly.
    I kind of agree that Jakko's vocals lack a little character, especially since Crimson has always featured distinctive singers (miss Wetton and Lake a lot, and Gordon Haskell was pretty interesting) but Jakko does a good enough job, especially on the non-Wetton stuff so why quible.
    Lastly, just because they haven't released an album of "new" material lately doesn't mean that are not performing new material.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    Indiedog likes this.
  17. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    I saw the Belew Quartet this past week, great players, great performances. Julie Slick can play circles around most of us, and a support player named Saul Zonana who sang, played guitar, keys, and percussion was quite impressive.
    Good show.

Lobster11 and Les Fret like this.
  18. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Ok cool. Didn't know they where a quartet now.

19. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    I have listened again to the live recordings of the latest line up. Love Mel Collins but now I know what my greatest problem is with the new line up (besides doing very little interesting new stuff). I just don't like the singing of Jakko. He is a great guy but to me he sounds like a KC tribute singer. The same thing he did with his Shizoid band. All other KC singers had a distinct original voice and personality and that is missing with Jakko. He sounds like Greg Lake a bit but than with a typical sympho voice which lacks the KC spirit (for me). When I listen to the recordings I like it when it is instrumental but when the voice comes in it puts me off. I also didn't like the Scarcity of Miracles album.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  20. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Well spoke!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021