Tony Levin

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by playbass12, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Had the pleasure of watching Tony Levin in a small
    jazz club setting the other night. He played with Peter Gabrials keyboardest Rachel Z. What a show.
    They are both on a small tour now so if they pull
    into your town its a must see. The biggest thrill though was going backstage and meet him.Great night.
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Tony is one of my favorites ever!

I'll have to see if they're gonna be close to me.
  3. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Tony Levin just blows my mind! He was incredible on Peter Gabriel's "Secret World live" DVD.
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah he's real solid and one of my biggest influences. His graceful groove style of playing can be so stunningly beautiful on some songs and so funky on others (sometimes both in the same song). Every time I hear him whether it be one of his main gigs (Peter Gabriel, formerly King Crimson) or solo albums or just a session gig for another artist I always enjoy his playing.

brad cook
  5. ditto word me too yes yes yes

Tony Levin is DA man.
  6. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Tony is probably my favorite bass player, right there with Jaco. Incredible bassist, very nice guy also.

I don't know if ombudsman remember about that, but we used to have an interactive tv here where we could watch a Peter Gabriel Concert. We had four choices if I remember corectly (It's been soooooo long!!) The first one was only the drummer (I think it was Manu) the camera was only on him and we could hear only him. Second choice was drum and bass (we could hear only those 2) third one was all the instrument without Peter and the last one was the regular show.

I watched that show about 20 times on the second position of course :) It was incredible, I wish i had recorded it :bawl:
  7. Was that "Secret World"? If it is, I have that show on VHS. Great show. I particularly love the middle section of "Shaking The Tree", where you can hear a truly unique EUB tone from Mr. Levin.
  8. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    he sings some nice harmony vox too!
  9. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I'm not sure it was secret world, I think it might have been before that.

I bought the DVD a few weeks ago, it really is a great show.
  10. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    If it's a new DVD then I think it is Secret World Live as that was just recently released on DVD with some special features and whatnot.

brad cook
  11. Keech

Oct 16, 2003
    All in your head
    I saw him with King Crimson along with Fripp, Belew, and Bruford switching back and forth between bass and stick. I was very inspired and intrigued by his style and proficiency. One of the best in the business and a very nice man.