1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tony Levin

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bassdog, Dec 15, 2018.

1. bassdog

bassdog

May 23, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga
    TL is amazing, and I love this example of his playing.

Stay low, Bd

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Thanks for exposing me to some TL I'd never have heard otherwise. Last time I listened to Chuck was High School maybe. ;)

PockySteve likes this.
  3. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Here's another example of TLev doing something slightly different than what he's been come to be associated with:

JimK likes this.
  4. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Levin is all over the place. I was learning this song once to play in a band I'm in. It's a simple song, but I was curious about who the bassist was. Steve Gadd is also the drummer on this one.

I knew Levin's work from way back in my early prog days, from his work with Gabriel and King Crimson, mainly. Never knew he had played on so many tracks as a studio cat.

bholder likes this.
  5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Tony with some of favorite players ever:

Bob_Ross, JimK and LBS-bass like this.
  6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Not my favourite Steps album...
    :)

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Browsing on Amazon today...looks like ECM is reissuing some titles in January 2019.
    One that grabbed me-
    David Torn, Cloud About Mercury...with Levin, Bruford, & Mark Isham.
    The samples on Amazon are wrong. Anyone (Jerry, Bob) familiar with this?

8. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    I thought Mick Karn played bass on that.

C/S,
    Rev J

9. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Polytown is the one with Karn, I’m at a gig I’ll have to check on the other one when I get home. I dig me some David Torn though.

10. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    I got to see BLUE (Bruford and Levins Upper Extremities) with David Torn and Chris Botti from the front row at Toads Place in New Haven Connecticut back in the late 90's I even got the CD signed and had a funny interaction about KC's Discipline album.

C/S,
    Rev J

11. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    That’s the Levin/ Torn album Inwas thinking of.

12. bigtiny

bigtiny

Jun 20, 2010
    Cambridge, MA
    I'm familiar with this. What do you mean that the samples are wrong....and what exactly is your question about it? I saw the band live (with Mark White in for Isham) shortly after the album came out and it was excellent....
    Come to think of it, I think Mick Karn was the bass player on the live show I saw too......

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Click on the mp3 version (at Amazon) & it links to a different album. That happens sometimes.
    Buyer Beware.
    Another off the top of my head is Flight Path by Sphere. The mp3 link is Flight Path by Kenny Barron. Close.

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
  15. Bob_Ross

Dec 29, 2012
    ** pretty sure it was Michael White on violin. [Edit: Apparently I'm mistaken.]
    But yep, the quartet who recorded the Cloud About Mercury album was Torn, Isham, Levin, & Bruford, but the subsequent tour in support of the album was Torn, Isham, Karn, & Bruford for a few months, and then Torn, White, Karn, & Bruford

I love that album. And still kick myself for skipping their gig at The Bottom Line in 1987.

YouTube has some videos of the Torn, Isham, Karn, & Bruford lineup:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    JimK likes this.
  16. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    That's a my bad. I was blowing dust off a 20+ year old memory.

C/S,
    Rev J

JimK likes this.
  17. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

This was my introduction to Tony...I had started playing bass in about 1987 and somehow happened to catch this on TV.
    Tony tearing it up with Eddie and Jan Hammer at the Les Paul Tribute concert.

getbent likes this.
  18. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    In my limited experience, Tony is a very gentle, humble fellow who has a lot of time to interact with his fans. I very much count myself as a member of that group.

Dasgre0g likes this.
  19. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Any idea where this tour played in Boston?
    I am almost certain I saw this, but it’s maybe mixing with a memory of David Sylvian of Japan on a solo tour and I also think I saw David Torn with Stanley Clark.

20. Bob_Ross

Dec 29, 2012
    Pure conjecture here, but based on other acts that played there around the same time, I would guess The Club (aka Nightstage) on Main Street in Cambridge.