1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Too many great amps / GAS problem.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JustStarted10, Jun 10, 2014.

1. JustStarted10

JustStarted10

May 30, 2014
    Even if I have kick-ass gear for my needs,there are still few great amps which I like. :( How do you guys deal with your GAS problem?

2. Avoid TalkBass Amps forum. Its like crack for GAS.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Just remember that no amp trumps hands, and an amp only sounds as good as the person playing.

4. webmonster

webmonster

May 19, 2013
    New Zealand
    I've got 3 vintage tube amps, none of which I use often enough as it is. So I tell myself 'what would be the point of getting another one?'
    ...and my wife would be less than amused ;)

5. Classic69

Classic69 Banned

Feb 25, 2014
    Keep buying! Buy rigs until there is no room to move in your residence!
    Uhh not really.
    I think one thing to bear in mind is that if you're getting the sound and tones you want- good.
    There will ALWAYS be new models of amps at NAMM, technology will always bring something newer, lighter, more powerful, etc. to the table
    so it's gotta end sometime! Or not.
    (This from a guy who just bought his 7th awesome rig: Ashdowm CMT-100 & Kltystron 115H).
    Wow, U&K-built valves. Killer. I'm done now.

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I build my own, that slows me way down. [​IMG]

7. redhed

redhed

Oct 25, 2009
    Well buying new Ampeg amps has almost ruined any desire to buy anymore new amps!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  8. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Simple...I deny I have one :woot: . Problemo solved :laugh: .

***And that goes for basses & effects pedals, too. And I'm working on cabs.***

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I'm with you: variety is a good thing. My solution is to use a rack rig. I own a half-dozen bass preamps that I love. I'll use one of them (or sometimes two at once if they are compatible) for a month or so, then if I feel like a change I'll swap them out for other preamps. Some pix:

A pair of SansAmp preamps: VT Bass and RPM
    IMG_20131231_204119_014_zps066c22bc.

VT Bass and Reiner ("JGR") custom all-tube pre
    IMG_20131214_245838_105_zpsbs1dsbtt.

Reiner pre with SWR Interstellar Overdrive
    IMG_20130908_243324_980_zpsb44a376f.

For me, juggling different preamps is more convenient than juggling different amps. I have a power amp that I really like and is loud enough for all gigs, so I don't have to worry about bringing a head that doesn't have enough power for the gig.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

If you're looking to avoid GAS: as you said, there are many great choices available, and most have nice qualities that vary from one to the other. So, just pick an amp you like that will cover all your gigs, and realize that no matter how good it is you'll probably never be 100% satisfied with it... if for no other reason than the "grass is always greener (etc)".

11. maves75

maves75

Dec 13, 2013
    Freeport Illinois
    I spend too much time on here reading, and looking at all the usual suspects' web pages. Then, I play my B18N for a while, and that gets me through the day without buying. But, it's gonna happen a couple more times. I need a couple more amps. That's the truth of it. I have had bad GAS lately! Really want something brand new. I also want something portable, that is a real amp! Give credit where it is due. Look how many times you have already not bought another amp!

12. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    Maybe try to quell the GAS with a Zoom B3 or something else with amp simulators. I know it isn't the same, but maybe just give it a try.
    I would like to have two of everything in case something fails. That's my issue. Two Zoom B3s? Really?
    GAS is a mental disorder. I have been to therapy, and still go.

13. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    I remind myself it's more important to know how to run the gear I have, plus most (if not all) patrons at a gig won't notice any difference. Ultimately it's about how well you play, and the band's overall sound mix.

Does this strategy work? Only somewhat........LOL.

Oh yeah, you can also get into fishing/boating, which helps suck up a lot of your free cash!

14. DTJ BASS

DTJ BASS

Apr 19, 2014
    The more I play the less time I have to look at new gear. Most of my gas comes when I am not playing. When I gig a lot I don't think about new gear just getting the rig I have to the next place.

15. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    There is no cure.

16. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    I'm hoping the Demeter I have on order will be the Gas-X of amps. I don't tend to go through amps the way I've gone through basses over the years, though other than a couple of ideas for Warmoth builds I think I'm about done with bass GAS too.

17. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004
    New York and Philadelphia
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    I've had GREAT amps...and Crap AMPs..they all worked...GREAT...SO I sold them all....usually play what's in the backline...or borrow one if I'm in a pinch. Waiting for my BASSBONE OD..going to replace my Pedaltrain rig in one box...at least my FOH sound will always be killer.

I do Love that little Peavey Max head..not happy that ya have to wait like a year for it to come out

18. DTJ BASS

DTJ BASS

Apr 19, 2014
    Just one more thing and that will be all I need.

19. +1 to this.

My bands have dissolved and all of a sudden I have hardcore GAS. Ampeg is to old skool I need a GK rig. 500w into 410 isn’t enough I need 800w & 412. In reality I don’t need anything but a set of headphones and when I do start playing out again I’ll remember that the Ampeg sounds pretty good……………….but 800w into a 412………..that’ll be awesome.................an a P bass, I need a P-bass............and my Jazz would sound betetr with active electronics...............

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014