Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Too many options!!!!! What to do....

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by sean_w_mcgrath, Oct 15, 2005.

1. sean_w_mcgrath

sean_w_mcgrath does this forum name make me look fat?

Ok, so here is my situation: I currently own an Mbox and Pro Tools LE, but am yet to use Pro Tools since I need to upgrade to use with OS X Tiger. So for the time being I have ben using the Mbox with Garageband.

I plan on recording a full band some day soon, and would like to have at least 8 inputs that i can record at the same time. So here is my plan: Pickup a Firepod, Logic Express 7, and upgrade to Pro Tools 7. This way I have the option of doing my tracking in Logic for Drums (8 Channels) and then doing the rest in Pro Tools through the MBox (I am assuming Pro Tools can import the audio recorded in Logic???) if I wanted too. Does this seem like a decent plan?

The other route I was considering was picking up a Digi 002 Rack, but that would cost me more money and seems to be less flexible than having the option of working in Logic or Pro Tools.

Is any one in the same boat as me? Or does anyone have any advice? Thanks very much.

2. BulkHead

BulkHead

Oct 14, 2005
    Manassas VA
    If you are going to upgrade to PT7 why buy logic? Is the firepod not compatible w/PT? Are you on a mac or pc?
    Yes the files from Logic can be imported to PT, but by the time you buy logic and PT7 and a FIrepod, would you have saved by just getting the 002 and PT7?
    That's how I interpreted your post.

3. sean_w_mcgrath

As far as I know, the Firepod is not compatible with Pro Tools so that is why I would buy Logic.

I am on a Mac.

The cost of PT7, Logic Express, and a Firepod will be considerably less than a Digi002. So that is why i think buying the 3 seperate items would be the road to go.

4. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    what you are doing is impossible. You cannot run pro tools with garage band, so either your lying or you beat the system. Pro tools only works with digidesign hardware and visa versa.

5. sean_w_mcgrath

Well I am under the impression that you can only use digi hardware (with the exception on some M-Audio devices that are compatible with Pro Tool M-Powered) with Pro Tools.

But I have been using my Digidesign MBox to record on garageband, without any issues. I am just using the Digi Standalone Core Audio Drive and everything works fine. You should be able to use the Digi hardware with any DAW in this way. It's nothing secret, and I certainly didn't beat the system.

6. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Pro Tools is pretty unfriendly about importing audio recorded from other systems--at least complete tracks that you're trying to sync up together. My studio uses Sonar and PT together, but it's always importing a PT session into Sonar, not the other way around. We start getting sync errors when exporting Sonar .wav audio any more complex than a single stereo track. You might be able to get Logic to work with PT, but why take the chance?

If you don't want to drop the bucks on a 002 system, have you considered purchasing (possibly used) a Digi ADAT bridge and buying an 8-channel A/D converter with an ADAT out? This way, you could at least keep everything in Pro Tools. As an alternative, if you're willing to get a Firepod and Logic, why bother with Pro Tools at all?

7. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    It sounds like you are making a lot of decisions based on one piece of gear - the M-box. If you aren't going to spring for an 002 rack, then you should abandon PT entirely. Why not just get something like the firepod w/ 8 channels of I/O, and find a DAW package that you are OK with? Sell the Mbox and use the cash to get a few decent mics.

For example, and this is not an endorsement, just an example: I use a MOTU 896HD w/ the free AudioDesk software. Audiodesk is fine if you aren't doing any MIDI and just tracking instruments from mics or line sources. For $1k you have 8 inputs with preamps, ADAT support, a host of digital inputs, and it comes with a decent audio. You can also use GarageBand2 which will handle 8 sources at a time. The PreSonus box would be the sme thing but it wasn't on the market when I bought my MOTU.

I very much agree that doing all of your tracking in the same application is the way to go. If you are worrying about these deisions then you don't want to be dealing with clock issues when you start moving between software packages.

8. Dugz Ink

Dugz Ink

Oct 23, 2005
    If I had my choice, I would still pick the MOTU 896HD over the Digi 002. (I've worked with both.) I haven't used the Firepod, but I've read some good reviews.

You could also get the Tascam FW1804, if you upgrade to OS X. That gives you 8 inputs, including mic-pres and phantom power, plus software like Cubase SE and Gigastudio LE... for $500 US.

Don't forget about the "M-Powered" (M-Audio) gear. According to the M-Audio web site, you can use interfaces like the Delta 1010 with Pro Tools LE and a Mac. However, it doesn't have mic-pres.