1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Too many options !?!?!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ninerfan, Nov 11, 2006.

1. ninerfan

ninerfan

May 28, 2006
    North San Diego
    I am happy with my basses (USA Fender Jazz currently having NJ4's installed, MM4, and an Ibanez 1300). I scored on a Ampeg SVT-CL, which I am happy with.

Right now I have an Ampeg 410-HLF, but I am looking to upgrade to my last cab. That is where the situation becomes difficult. SOOOOOO many to choose from. I know the old standard is the Ampeg 810, but 165 pounds! Also overkill for the venues we are playing right now. I really like the idea of getting a Bergantino NV610, but hard to find and expensive. I've recently read some posts saying that an epifani 410 can get the sound of the berg w/ a tweeter plus more. Still expensive, but more readily available.

I will probably keep my head or change to a SVT-2 non-pro or a vintage SVT. So, my question is ,in your opinion, what is the last cab I would ever have to buy. I know I should play them all and decide for myself, but it will be very hard to try out a bergie without buying. It will also be difficult to try a 810 and an Epifani side by side since most places around here carry one or the other. I understand these are your opinions, so fire away.

P.S. Feel free to comment if you think it is an upgrade to go from a SVT-CL to a SVT2 non-pro.

P.P.S. It's Saturday night, why are we on TB instead of gigging?:bassist:

2. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Just an off night. Gigging resumes on Monday.
    Anyway, I think I saw Bergs mentioned somewhere in that text. So what's the issue??? Just go with the Bergs (your choice, they are all excellent) and play bass happily ever after.

3. ninerfan

ninerfan

May 28, 2006
    North San Diego
    The issue is buying one never having heard or played it. Is it the ultimate cab for tube heads or are there differing opinions.

Also, it might help to know what style of music I play. We play Rock and Roll (think Wilco) no metal or punk. I'm looking for a vintage tone like JPJ and John Stirratt of Wilco. I also saw Dylan a couple of weeks ago and Tony Garnier blew me away and I noticed he was playing Epifani cabs (couldn,t see the rest of his set up).

4. chaotick

chaotick

Aug 15, 2006
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    There are ALWAYS going to be differing opinions on gear.

The general concensus around here is that the bergs are great, I can't say from experience, though.

There was a thread called "who doesn't like the ip's" or something like that but.... it got hijacked by people that did like them... :meh:

5. ninerfan

ninerfan

May 28, 2006
    North San Diego
    Any morning TBers want to share their opinions?:)

6. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Bergs are beautifully made cabs that will support any style of music you are playing. Copying somebody famous' bass tone (which many TBers are opposed to, prefering to find 'your own sound') has the most to do with your fingers and ends way down the line with cabs. I doubt that JPJ and John Stirratt use Epi cabs like Tony Garnier much less all using the same basses, pre-amps, amps, strings, etc, etc. Your best bet if you are on a cab quest, is to find a well built, reliable, well rounded cab that can cover lots of tones/styles very well. Bergs (and several other high end cabs) will do that for you.