Too many spare parts = NBD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourlow, Apr 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. fourlow

fourlow Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Vancouver, BC
    I had enough bits lying around to put together a reasonable P-bass, just needed to find a body(I have this strange condition where I just can't leave bass parts alone, they have to be assembled into something!). I don't have a fender-type bass currently strung with rounds so this fills that need and scratches the parts itch . Mostly assembled from leftover Squire parts, a nice playing Affinty J neck, Affinty P guts, some random 10.6k good sounding/low price pup's, some funky walnut tophat style knobs and other various stuff from the parts bin. I've been looking on CL and TB for a dirt cheap P body for a while found nothing so I went to Guitar Fetish and purchased this el-cheapo body in a cool looking color of surf green. Wanting to do something a little bit out of the ordinary with the look of the bass I grabbed a parchment pickguard blank and figured I would combine some aspects of the older tele-P and standard P pickguards. It came out a little bit 50's futuristic/George Jetson-y looking, which is kinda growing on me. A few hours work this morning and this is the result. These bodies are crazy light so the bass has a healthy does of neck dive tho the whole shebang weighs only 6lb 10oz so it is manageable (some light weight tuners would do a world of good... but that would kill the budget ;). Strung with some fresh EB Cobalts, the bass sounds surprisingly good. Punchy & bright, pretty neutral midrange and reasonable lows with a very low playing action. Slap sounds great on this one and the absent section of the PG at the bass of the neck opens that area up for your fingers to easily get under the strings (an unplanned bonus). Apart from the neck dive, things turned out pretty good with this mutt..... I think I will call him Elroy.

zvyB2l.jpg
    a4GQHT.jpg

2. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    I like!

fourlow and Son of Wobble like this.
  3. Warhawk

Warhawk Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2003
    South of Heaven, Ohio
    Very cool! It has a mid-'60s Japanese bass look to it.

fourlow, Rattman and kopio like this.
  4. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    I like it a lot!!! Especially the pickguard.

Would you tell me, what do you use to cut a pickguard? Do you bevel the edges?

bassestkkm, fourlow and Son of Wobble like this.
  5. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    Very cool--enjoy!

fourlow likes this.
  6. fourlow

Sep 25, 2016
    Vancouver, BC
    Cheers. The pickguard was cut with a bandsaw and a palm router. The edges were beveled with hand files.

GKon and Spidey2112 like this.
  7. Yay!!! "...daughter Judy, Jane, his wife..." Raw, Rorge.

Malak the Mad, Spidey2112 and fourlow like this.
  8. Love the colors!

fourlow likes this.
  9. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Loving it!

fourlow likes this.
  10. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    Sand and re decal the headstock (faker or something of the sort) and good to go. That has more mojo than most squires.

fourlow likes this.
  11. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    That pickguard design is sweet.
    I call it, Futuristic Retro.

NigelD and fourlow like this.
  12. Very Jetsons and a good use of parts.
    A matching headstock with a gold Fender script decal that says Elroy
    would be the final touch. :D

Old Blastard likes this.
  13. fourlow

Sep 25, 2016
    Vancouver, BC
    A matching headstock would look great, I dunno how close a match to this color I would be able to find tho! But ya never know.... If I end up finding a budget maple J neck with black dot inlays.... I could paint that headstock gloss black and slap an Elroy on there. Have to give this bass a little time and see if she sticks in the rotation. At the moment tho I am digging the sounds.

14. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    I like it!

fourlow likes this.
  15. jjmuckluckjr

jjmuckluckjr

Mar 24, 2015
    Ahh that sea foam green is giving me beach blanket flashbacks. Toss on a Hawaiian shirt, a straw hat and Pooka beads then head for the shore. Summer's coming and that bass fits right in with suntan lotion, over-sized cocktails and bikinis. That bass probably has it's own surfboard. :thumbsup:

fourlow likes this.
  16. FenderB

FenderB

Mar 28, 2016
    Findlay, Ohio
    Nice.

fourlow likes this.
  17. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    I'll bet if you take the body to a local paint shop, you'll be surprised how closely they can match that color, especially if there's some raw paint in the neck pocket. I had to match some "Heathkit green" a few years ago, and my local guys had the paint equivalent of a Plek machine for doing that. :woot:

fourlow likes this.
  18. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Sweet looking Pbass! I did the same thing recently...had a bunch-o-parts just waiting for a body....took me about a year to find what I wanted. :D

fourlow likes this.
  19. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Potentially, both a name for your guitar and a band...

'21st Century Gumby'...

(Good job, fourlow)

fourlow likes this.
  20. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    The pick guard design is brilliant.

fourlow likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022