1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Too many true-bypass pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by GroovinOnFunk, Aug 13, 2012.

1. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Endorses Cleartone and SIT Strings
    Hey guys,

I decided that I prefered the simplicity of passive basses over active ones so I recently picked up a 2012 MIA Fender Std. Jazz bass. I've installed Delano pickups (slightly hotter output than the CS60s that came with the bass) to give it some more juice in the sound.

I'm realizing, however, that I have mostly true-bypass pedals and am wondering if I will start to lose some of my signal by not having a buffer. So here's my setup (or at least what it will be in a few days when I receive 2 new pedals I ordered).

Fender passive jazz bass --> 20' planet waves custome series cable --> always on BBE Opto Stomp compressor (I leave it always on and turn the gain up a little to boost the signal from the jbass) --> MXR Octave -->MXR M82 envelope filter --> MXR Analog Chorus --> MXR Micro Flanger --> Korg Pitchblack --> 20' planet waves custom series cables --> GK MB210 + 210MBE.

I just realized how many MXR pedals I have now... didn't intend on that. I just really like their stuff.

Do I have too many true-bypass pedals? I thought that by keeping the compressor always on and giving it a bit of a volume boost, that I would put a little juice back into the signal... but I don't know. Basically it's 5 true bypass pedals after the compressor (if my count is correct)

2. Yurtra

Yurtra

Apr 26, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    My understanding is that having your compressor on will serve as a buffer.

3. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Mar 22, 2009
    Denver, CO
    I think you'll be fine. Do you hear any difference if you bypass the pedalboard?

4. GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I haven't tried it yet. I'm trading my Sansamp BDDI for the MXR Analog Chorus and MXR Micro Flanger. They haven't arrived yet. The BDDI i know is a buffered bypass and has a DI, but I just never used it that much and it was taking up a good amount of space on my board.

I was also thinking that the compressor would serve as a buffer in it of itself since it's always on. Just don't want to have any signal or high-end loss.

5. Gilian24

Gilian24

May 23, 2010
    The analog chorus is buffered bypass.. so you will have still one buffered pedal in the chain.

6. GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Oh ok... Thought all mxr was true-bypass.

7. You should be fine, although I don't know the input impedance of your combo.

8. GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Neither do I... Prey tell, what effect would that have?

9. moose23

moose23

Dec 27, 2007
    Builder Moose23 Electronics
    Your ears will tell you if you have a problem but as already said the Opto stomp has buffers in it so if that's always on you are running a buffer in your signal chain..

10. GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks guys. I don't plan on adding any more FX. I really am a fan of simplicity, but there's something about a chorus and flanger that sound so pretty on a bass solo or something like that

11. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    As stated by having your Opto Stomp "on" your impedance is low Z. The 20' cable between your instrument and Opto Stomp will have a certain amount of capacitance but it should be fine. You could try running our Bass Driver in bypass mode(before you sell it) before the Opto Stomp or as the last effect before the amp and see if there is any discenrible difference. Our pedals utilize a high quality buffer.

Usually a good buffer at the beginning of the chain should be sufficient.

12. GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Hey,
    Thanks so much for chiming in. Unfortunately the deal is done and the BDDI is mine no more. Rest assured though, I was thoroughly pleased with Tech21 products and have my eye on the paradriver (absolutely want one!) and the red ripper.