1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Took the Plunge got a palatino electric

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Nohandles, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Well I did it this week and ordered a Palatino. I debated buying one for a year but this winter is really been tough on my crushed discs. With 2 practices a week and both in basements the full sized basses are not getting it for me. I have read all the threads and other articles on the Palatino and I'm sure it won't rivel my King Studio Master or even the Ole Swing Master I have but I am sure I can get the sound I want out if it with a little time and some $$$. I do my own work and have build stringed instruments for 25 years. I will post when I have it the way I like it. The only cosmetic thing I am going to do right off the bat is refinish it to blond. I don't like the finish they did for it. Anyway this beats the price of a new Eminence (not the sound) for now at least but I'm sure I will get one in the next few years

2. In that case the Palatino should suit you - I got the impression that their basic woodwork was OK but the bridge, strings, pickup & tailpiece all needed upgrading. And the finish, like you said.
    I was about to do the same before finding a local who made me a nice bass for about the same price (Palatinos retail at $1599 in Australia).
    The Palatino would be an ideal candidate for a DIY piezo (www.fittell.id.au.piezo) using the 6" MSI piezo film.

3. I can sympathize with that. As much as I love playing my acoustic, negotiating a narrow staircase and playing on a concrete floor does make an EUB a better choice at times. Except for recording of course !