Tool's Distortion?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Radical Edward, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Hi. I'm looking to play some stuff like Tool's 10,000 Days album. I was wondering what I should buy to get that distortion.. ? Like, what kind of distortion pedal or whatever would you recommend? All I have right now is 2 bass guitars and two amps.
    I'm not sure my budget yet, but I'll know more if I have some ideas of where to start. Any help? :help:
    Sorry if this is a "noobish" question. I'm just a little lost when it comes to effects and stuff.

2. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    According to the defunct Bass Guitar Magazine, the pedals he used on the album were a Digitech Bass Whammy, Tech 21 SansAmp, Boss chorus, Boss bass flanger, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss GEB-7 EG, and a ProCo Rat. Other fuzz and tremolo pedals were added for different parts, and a vintage wah pedal was used on The Pot.

3. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    So, short answer is a ProCo Rat. I hear the new ones kinda suck though, although I have no experience with them. Get an old one, or get a new one and have it modded.

4. You might want to look into a Pro Co Turbo Rat, much more low stock.

A blend pedal would be another solution.

5. Wild_Cat

Wild_Cat

Feb 14, 2009
    Montréal, QC
    From what I read on Wikipedia (and it sounds logical), the completely awesome tone on the opening song (Vicarious) is a Digitech Whammy set to octave up harmony, into a SansAmp GT-2. It kills.

6. Ooh. Very nice. Will check into all of these. Not sure my budget as of yet. I have a really nice GK, here so I guess that's a good start. It's my boyfriends for his band, though, so I can't use it all the time. :p

7. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Although his rig may have changed since then, that's what was on the album. There is a gigantic interview with Chancellor, and a smaller one with his tech. I'm pretty sure they knew what they recorded with.

8. Well, I'm not looking to replicate his rig. (Though, that WOULD give me something to do all day. Hee hee). I'm just looking to get that general, kind of dirty, sound. If that makes sense. Heh. I'll do my best.

9. If you just want to sound like his standard tone, then get a Proco Turbo Rat and blend it with your clean tone. You could use a Boss LS-2 for the blending. That'll be close enough for what you're looking for.

10. Okie dokie. I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the help.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021