Top 3 five strings you have owned

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by echo008, Feb 3, 2006.

1. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Hi Guys ... Ive seen this idea posted on another forum and I wanted to do it here and see what the results were .... What are your favorite Top 3 five string basses, that you have played and what was it about them that made you GAS for it.
    Better B, wood combination, scale length, nut width, etc ...

1. Roscoe LG3005 (well known for its tight thunderous B, definitely the best B I have ever played)

2. F-Bass BN5 (Again tight articulate B, a sleek playing machine)

3. Alembic Excel 5 (one of the first in production and the bass just resounded endlessly, tight nice feeling B not as tight as the Roscoe or the F bass but really nice overall)

please feel free to chime in ...
    thanks for looking
    - Tom
  2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
  3. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

If I have to pick just three:

Fender Roscoe Beck 5 - killer array of passive Fender tones, with an extra string
    Sadowsky P5 - looks like a Fender but has modern tone: tight, articulate, even
    MTD 535 - sexiest neck ever, versatile preamp, amazing array of tones

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    1. Mike Lull M5V Swamp Ash/Rosewood/Duncan pups/Bart Pre
    2. Mike Lull M5V Swamp Ash/Maple/Bart pups & pre
    3. Carvin BB75

(Haven't owned many 5s)
  6. I only ever owned 3 five strings and still hold them. Here, listed in the order of purchase:

1- Zon Studio 5, my first 5 string, took time to adjust but needed the wide spacing for slaping. Always played on graphite neck. This phenowood fingerboard is as fast as the pure graphite.
    Sound is amazingly versatile. Nice growl, especially when compressed. The two boosts are a bit too much.
    B is good but not the tightest I've tried (see #3).

2- Fender Jazz Marcus Miller V. Don't like the active preamp. Always play passive anyway. Bought it for the Jazz tone. Like it. B is quite floppy, eventhough it's through body. With DR MM5 sounds very nice. Slap tone is Marcus-y sounding.

3- Latest acquisition, F Bass BNF5... very very nice bass. B is very tight. Ebony fingerboard is a joy to play (I also play double bass). Sound is very nice but I haven't explored all the posibility yet. The preamp is very flexible. The F bass string (La Bella Super Steps) are also great to play. G. Furlanetto says that the tapered core on the bridge helps the tightness... all I can say is that the B is very nice.
    Also one will notice the on the head, the B string is very well placed and it enhances the tightness.

7. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    * F Bass BN5
    * Sadowsky UV70MB5
    * Valenti Jazz 5-string
  8. 1. MTD 535... just about the perfect 'modern' 5 string... totally even string response and very 'small' feeling for a 35" scale bass... massive B string sound if you are looking for that.

2. Sadowsky Vintage or Standard... unique combination of very wide string spacing at bridge but 34" scale.... plenty of room for right hand technique, but the bass and neck feel very small... one of the most comfortable 5 strings I've ever played with a B string that's not particularly big, but useful on the gig... a nice extension of the E string vs. a huge 'over the top' B.

3. Celinder Update 5... Marcus Miller all the way down to the open B.... the sizzliest, grindiest B string I've heard... not a big, punchy Roscoe or Fodera B... but a 'funky, sizzly' B.

Honorable mention.... almost every Fodera I've ever played (especially the very heavy Emperor I owned for quite a while)... totally tight but controlled B string... a very natural extension to the rest of the bass... one of the most 'usable' B strings above the 5th fret IMO.
  9. sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    Well its the 3 I've ever owned:
    #1 L2500
    #2 SR5
    #3 Fender USA Deluxe Jazz V (gone to BPotyk):cool:
  10. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    A Reverend Brad Houser is the best 5 I've played and owned. Like most Reverends the neck is outstanding in feel and playability. The 2 pick ups are arranged in banks of double J's that can be split or added as needed. The B is choice and doesn't flub at all. And the tone is to die for.Being semi hollow it sounds like a 7ender with a little air.
    If you want to hear it recorded go to Then click on the Music section and select the Change Your Ways album. Listen to 'Bunker' 'So Many Know' or 'Make Them Kneel' or any of them since I did the whole album with it.
    If you wanna see it in action click on the 'Revival' gig in the pics section of
    Happy Times,
  11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've only ever owned two five strings. I guess I can't play.
  12. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Ill actually have a "Delivered" confirmation on an Elrick that I ordered, it has just been delivered to my house and is waiting for me, Gold Standard 5 35 inch scale with zero fret. I might have to re-adjust my top three list later :)

By the way its the top 3 you have played whether you have actually owned the bass or not is not really important I figure most people here have played/owned at least 3 5's.
    - Tom
  13. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Best for what?

Sadowsky RV5 - big boom and crisp snap, great B. Really fills out a mix.

Modulus Quantum 5 - focus, growl, and complexity, and the best B of the bunch.

MTD535 - woody growl and personality, amazing clarity, great feel.

EBMM Stingray 5 - PUNCH, growl and attitude on every note on the neck. Crisp, solid, slappable B.

Zon Sonus Special - smooth and effortless sound with focussed lows and low mids.

Moses necked homemade fretless 5 - might be ugly but its a mwah machine!

All great in their own way. Any choice between them would depend on the band it was being used in. There are no 3 in this bunch that stand out from the rest in any absolute way.
  14. ajb

Mar 20, 2005
    This is easy.

1. 1993 EB Stingray 5

2. 1993 EB Stingray 5

3. 1993 EB Stingray 5

Can you tell I like this bass?
  15. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    1. Status Stealth headless 5 string - the best bass I have ever played. A tone that will cut through any mix and a neck that almost plays itself. If I could only have one bass it would be this one

2. Knuckle Guitars Quake Bass - this five string is tuned ADGCF and has incredible clarity for such a low tuned bass. Probably because it is a 39" scale bass.

3. Alembic Mark King Deluxe 5 - the prettiest bass I own with a clear focused tone that has sustain for days.

Honorable mention
    4. 1996 Warwick Thumb NT 5 string - the first really good 5 string that I ever owned. Excellent Warwick growl but heavy as a boat anchor.
  16. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    - Stingray 5
    - Fender Roscoe Beck V
    - ... er? gas..
  17. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I hate to be stupid but do you have 3 stingrays? Or are you making a joke?:confused:
  18. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Warwick Steramer Stage 1 5 with the Basslines p'ups and pre. (The Holy Grail!)

Warwick Streamer Stage 2 5

Sadowsky Metro 5

Honorable mentions: Roscoe 5 (sick bass!) & Lull 5
  19. stretch80

Jan 31, 2005
    1. Stingray 5 -- clear, growly, more flexible than you think.
    2. MM Bongo 5 HS - great tone
    3. Peavey Cirrus 5 - super playable neck, good modern tone.

(I've not had the budget for the MTDs of the world...)
  20. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i've only owned two: a Carvin LB75F (which i own right now), and an Ibanez SRX705.