Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TOUGH choice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Classical_Thump, May 26, 2005.

1. Classical_Thump

Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    I have been on the fence recently between a new bass- a 5 or 6 string. So far I have searhced many companies, basses, etc. and found many nice things however the nicest thing in my price-range would probably be a custom Carvin 5 or 6 (I already have one and love it). I was going to order it soon, but I recently came across a 6 string semi-hollow Oteil Burbridge style Modulus with lane poor p'ups for a really good price. I was just wondering which would be the better choice. I like the custom options and the sound I have been getting from my Carvin, however the price of this Modulus is hard to pass up. I haven't played many Modulus basses before, and none plugged in so I don't know how the tone really is, while some people love the tone and stability, some complain about "sterility", so you can see why I am having a hard choice. However the oppurtunity to buy the Modulus will probably pass me up so I need to make an choice soon. Any Advice? Thanks :help:

2. If you're getting the Modulus for a really good price (used, I assume?), then I'd snag it, and just resell it if it turns out not to be for you--those original Otiels with the LPs are rare. Seems like a pretty low risk opportunity to try out something really cool. FWIW, I've owned a Modulus and played several others, and while the Carvins I've played have been nice basses, they haven't really been in the same league in my opinion...

Mike

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Carvin basses are nice. Modulus basses are off the chart.

Spend some time with the Modulus. If it grows on you, buy it. If it doesn't order a Carvin.

I do not like the tone of the Carvin electronics, but apparently you do. Since you have experience with them, and like them, you are ahead of the game on that side.

Some people do not care for the sound of Lane Poor pickups. I would buy the Modulus, even if I didn't like Lane Poors. They sell for insane prices on Ebay. Sell the Lane Poors, put in your favorite pickups and preamp, and probably still have some money left.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I had a Carvin... LB75 strung with a high "B" custom ordered in late winter 1990. It felt and sounded great! I did a lot of gigging and recording with it. During the years with it, I hit a lot of high end gear in NYC and Philly... Fodera, Pedulla, Smith, Tobias... all the big players. The only GAS I had was for a Modulus Sweet Spot 6 string. If it didn't cost 3 times what the Carvin did, I would have bought it!