Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Touring bassists.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by MCBTunes, May 5, 2005.

1. What do you do when your fingers on the right hand get really sensitive.... I'f I play hardcore for acouple days my fingers just kill whe nthey even touch the string... Soooo sensitive. Pick has been my choice, even though I'm not that great with it. Anyone glue their fingers? or use special creams?

2. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I tend to get the best results by not beating myself to death to begin with but.....I'm old.

3. Rockgurl

Rockgurl

Dec 17, 2004
    CT, USA
    We did two shows in Vermont on one weekend that were 5 sets long...I was playing about 5 hours a night and I was in pain! I had been practising for up to 8 hours a day too, so I had definitely worn my fingers away! I used Nu Skin...not really recommended for doing nice things to your strings, but when you're in that much pain I'd rather use it and then buy new strings. It lasts for about 1 set and then you have to paint it on again. It really did help.

4. snapple

snapple

Nov 25, 2003
    Victoria-Vancouver Canada
    Endorsing Artist: PCL Vintage Amps
    try a softer touch. or maybe you need to build up your callouses a bit more... i know that when i play infrequently, my fingers will get sore after a long practice or jam.

5. haha. well we play fast rock with a little punk flavour...so its hard not too :)

Rockgirl, thast cool never heard of that stuff I'll check it out.

6. Use a pick, at least on some songs...that will save your fingers quite a bit.

7. Rockgurl

Rockgurl

Dec 17, 2004
    CT, USA
    It was my left hand (fingering hand) that hurt the most...a pick doesn't help that! Nu Skin protected my fingertips just enough to get through the 5 hour show.

8. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I work on Hot Rods as a hobby and have my hands in solvents and cleaners a lot. It has a tendency to dry out and crack the tips of your fingers around the nail/pad area. Very sensitive, to say the least. Nu Skin application usually begins the afternoon of a gig. 4-5 coats over each crack. Then one more coat after soundcheck. This usually will last me the whole night without re-application. I play with a very heavy hand and it holds up fine. Nu Skin is the bomb.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    We talking Nu Skin that "liquid bandage" stuff, or Nu Skin, a product from the Nu Skin company?

Because if it's the liquid bandage stuff, that's just rebranded Krazy Glue, and you can save a bundle by just getting the non-medicine-isle stuff.

10. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I find I can practice for hours with no pain yet the day after a gig my fingers are "sensitive".

Inevitably I strike teh strings with more force when I play live. I admit it's easier to say "don't pluck the strings so hard" than to actually do it.

Have you ever wanted to use three fingers on your right hand ?
    When your two main fingers are sore, it's a great time to explore other methods. Like using your ring finger or using your thumb for a downstroke (a la Fred Thomas).

This is a great way to explore new techniques and give your pain pluckign fingers a break.

11. Proper technique.... hmmmm i am self taught :smug: .....

flats are an idea, I'll check them out..... I've always just used ernie ball rounds.

We actually havn't played outside of sask at all. And not even any "real" shows(paid) togeather, I actually just joined them recently.

12. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Just play through the pain... Unless you start bliterin' and bleedin' it won't matter if the fingers are a little "sensitive"

13. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    elixir strings for the elft hand, picks for the right hand