1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Traben bass options

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassmatt4792, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Hello all. I have a Trabeb Array Obsession 5 that I got through a deal with a store owned by my friend's dad. Lately, she just sounds lifeless. Little sustain plugged in and not a round sound like I'm looking for. Honestly I would describe the sound as a triangle- sharp, quiet attack, then dies out quickly. Here's a little about it:

First and foremost, it has GHS Boomers from December 2011. I've always preferred older strings on this bass.
    It has Rockfield soapbars with an active/passive switch
    I've realized recently that when plugging a cable in, it doesn't really 'lock' well. The jack is one of those one piece recessed ones, basically the hollow shaft with the threads on the outside. If it was a standard jack I could bend that tab back.
    I've measured my pickups and haven't found anything that seems to be the right size. I'm partial to Duncan but that could change.
    Could I get a new preamp? This obviously has a preamp because of the active/passive switch.

By the way, I always use it active because it sounds a lot 'less lifeless' that way.

Thanks for your help. I can measure pickups later if needed.

Matt

2. It does have a fresh 9v battery as well. Forgot to add that and can't edit on my iPhone.

3. Bump?

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I would go with some different pups if you want the most change in sound I would also take it to a tech to make sure the preamp is functioning correctly.

5. Mooch

Mooch

Jan 1, 2009
    MN
    I have a Chaos Obession 5 with the Rockfields. Love the sound of the bass but yes its soooooooo quiet. I have tried raising pickups but didnt do a whole lot. And nothing is the same size these were custom for these basses. My next attempt will be a new preamp. Im sure it would help.

6. The Stoke

The Stoke

Sep 15, 2011
    If your strings are two years old, it's time to change them. Splurge the $20... I bet you'll be happier.