1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Traben basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SOA_bassist, Nov 5, 2006.

1. SOA_bassist

SOA_bassist Guest

May 10, 2006
    I was at theperfectbass.com and noticed that traben basses are super-cheap and look wicked and I was wondering if they are quality basses

how do they sound and what are they more suited for?

=-p =-)

2. I would say the are of equal quality to most of the other "CE" marked basses. I agree with you, I think they have a wicked look also. The 5er I tried played really nice. I've been thinking about picking up a fretless. To me, it would make more sense than laying out big bucks for something I might not stay with.

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I'm not all that thrilled with the look of Trabens, but having said that, I have a Tribal Sun fretless. Got it in a trade right here on TB. Surprisingly nice bass, with a growly sound and good mwah. The board isn't lined, but has dots where the fretlines would be, which is good for a fretless dilettante like me.

As far as their "wicked" looks, I played my Tribal Sun at church one morning, and an older lady came up to me afterwards and said, "You have the most beautiful guitars." Struck me pretty funny.

4. Traben basses are pretty cool looking, I've played a Traben Torrent 4 and a Traben Pheonix (I think) 4, and the Pheonix sounds almost same as a Schecter Custom 4. I made a thread about it a month or so ago, search for it and check it out =)

5. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    I had a Traben Phoenix 4 in trans red... I loved the looks, the feel, and the sound... It was never quite what i was looking for in terms of feel and sound, so I did eventually sell it... but I sort of regret selling it now, it could get some mean Megadeth like bass tones that none of my basses can get now.

6. I've owned six or seven Trabens (all 35" scale) and have kept three of them. Only sold the others in order to broaden my horizon. I think they are an exceptional value for the money, are well made and sound, play and look great. I've had my Kore-5 and Tribal Sun-5 for maybe six months now, but recently purchased a Spalted Array-5 from The Perfect Bass which is my favorite (due to the look). Some of these can be found pretty cheap on Ebay although most Ebay dealers sell them at the typical retail price (such as $579 for Phoenix-5). The only Traben that I did not care for was the basic (bottom end) Array-4 that I had. Although the Array Premium (such as my Spalted) are great, I'd stay away from the cheaper Array, all others (Kore, Phoenix, Torrent, Tribal Sun, Chaos) are well worth owning. I have not owned any of the newer Trabens though.

7. Traben Torrent aren't produced anymore. The only place is EBay.

8. BFISHER1970

BFISHER1970 Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2005
    Pensacola, Florida
    I've had 2 trabens.....nice basses with crappy electronics. IMHO

9. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Inactive

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    i heard they're good basses but they look a bit too flashy for me and they can be heavy.

10. Yes, the flash is a matter of taste. I like flashy, but some don't. The huge chrome bridge/pickguards are good for reflecting a beam of light onto the crowd or onto someone whose attention you are trying to get. The weight is another thing. The Arrays are light but all others are more on the heavy side. However, my neck-thru Kore is without doubt the HEAVIEST bass I've ever had or even picked up. I have not weighed it, but it is one heavy beast. But the sound and depth of bass come from that weight. It is one great bass.

11. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    There is a 6 string comming!!!:hyper: