Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by addylewis, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Sorry for those of you who like them but...

Haven't they just got watts and absolutely no tone and warmth? - fair enough they've got EQ, but...

(actually I don't know about a lot of them - i've got a GP7 300-watt 15" combo and it sounds absolutely s***!)

anyone else agree with me? :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:
  2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I've never heard of anyone who was dissatisfied with Trace...
  3. It seems to me like you're just trying to upset people or something with your thread title. If you're honestly looking for TB member's opinions on Trace Elliot gear, I suggest you check out "the TRACE ELLIOT thread"
  4. In fact, I had the exact same combo you have and I loved it. Like you said, plenty loud, however, i could easily dial in a nice, warm tone or almost any other tone. I just loved it.
  5. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I beg to differ. I have a GP7SM 250 and I find it to have a very warm, organic tone. The EQ is pretty sensitive and versatile try setting it flat, bring up a little low-end and a touch of highs. You can also tweak it with the EQ balance control...push it towards the low and your find a warmer tone.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...what amp(s) do YOU think you sound good thru?...

PS: I LOVE my V-8
  7. superfly

Aug 4, 2004

If you WERE talking about SWR then I would agree with you. :D
    Are you sure you didn't mean SWR?
  8. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    he he
  9. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA

He doesn't know alot about them, hmm......... :rollno:
  10. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
  11. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Hmm, a classical guitar player I used to play with used a Trace combo, and it was super weak.

But then, that's g****r.
  12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Perhaps if you spent a little time learning how to use EQ ...
  13. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California

If you want i'll gladly take it off of your hands for free. I'll pay shipping :)
  14. It's Kustom or peavey or vox for me all the way, as I say, maybe it is just my amp, and I didn't realise they did valve stuff too... :bag:

and as for "LEARNING how to use the EQ" - WHAT THE f***?!?! - I have you know I'm doing a muso tech degree aproaching my final year, so I think I know when I can get a good sound out of the amp - and i'm sorry to say, I can't with my trace - unless I use a POD, but thats an extra 350 quid or whatever just to get decent tone like I'd expect with an amp. :mad:

My vox would be great with new valves, my Kustom 8-inch practice amp has 100 times more warmth then the trace, which just sounds flat and boring whatever I do to it o its own - I dunno if its perhaps the own brand speaker thats in it...what U reckon, could that be it?
  15. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Maybe it just mercilessly shows the tonal weaknesses of your bass? ;)
    What are you using? (aka please fill out your profile)
  16. jellybass

jellybass Guest

Nov 8, 2004
    I just switched from Ampeg to a Trace GP12 Series 6 combo with 4 10's. Night and day going from the Ampeg to the Trace. GREAT tone and veru articulate. Actually the amp has more tonal possibilities than anything I have run across and probably more than I will ever use.
  17. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    that could be a major factor.

Just out of curiosity: how do you have the input and output levels set?
  18. why does an amp need warmth?

there is a market out there for people looking for a clean/sterilie/ hi-fi sound with as little colouration from the amp, and that is fair enough, each to thier own, its great to be spoilt with a huge choice of amplifiers

the only trace amp i have tried i did not like that much, but that is because its at a practice room and used nearly all day every day, so i think it has seen better days tbh
  19. there is nothing wrong with my bass, I got a MIM jazz with hot pickups, compared to an american bass by my teacher, and I love the sound of it through almost every other amp I've tried - and I got 2 other jazzes which also sound good through my Kustom so...

Thanks for the advise on the EQ thing :) I'll have a bash and C if it makes it sound better... I still prefer the sound of my Kustom over almost everything I've tried though, so I think a Kustom rig or large combo would probably be a good alternative...they got more watts too!

I suppose it is all down to personal taste, and maybe the trace combo just isn't for me :D

I usually just have the EQ wih a kind of hump leaning more to the left and tailing off a lot near the high mid-treble.

If an amp has warmth it just gives it a nicer tone, I can't really explain it - it's like "Why do people prefer valves over trannies?" - to me it just sounds unexciting and sterile, I didn't know till just that trace did valve amps too, so I can't really comment on their valve sounds...

Just out of interest, tho here prefers a valve amp to a solid state?
  20. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    The wise man does not kick the small barking dog....

Shut your mouth Steve......don't say it......