1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trace Eilliot Micro Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BrentSimons, Aug 8, 2012.

1. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Vergennes,VT USA
    Hey Guys,
    I wonder why Trace hasn't put out a micro amp yet? Preamp tube, shape switch, compressor, maybe a smaller eq than the AH series. Big digital power amp. What are your thoughts?
    Brent

2. BrentSimons

Mar 4, 2004
    Vergennes,VT USA
    Bueller?

3. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Since Peavey owns them and doesn't have one either that might a be a clue. Maybe they think it's a "phase".

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Trace Elliot hasn't released a new model for over 5 years and their current production is basically the same as what they did befor they closed doors 15 years ago.
    I see them as a legacy brand for people who still want this Trace signature tone. I wouldn't expect any kind of innovation from them.

5. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  6. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    It's hard to note sarcasm in typed words. They are missing out on a ton sales if they hit a good price point.

7. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    You're right about model releases, but I think the inside of the new Trace has come a long way since partnering with Peavey. Trace was stuck in the 70's and 80's technologically. Now that we handle customer service and repairs for the legacy stuff...holy geez some of that older stuff was a nightmare! Especially the power sections.

I feel pretty certain it's a phase. People say they want portability, but micro amps are not a complete solution. A high quality, portable combo amp (like the Trace combos) would be more of a complete solution, but combos are not cool right now, micro amps are all the rage. That doesn't mean you won't see one from Trace or Peavey.

I think this is the way things are headed after "the phase". I am blown away by what you can do with an iPad and audio interface these days.

8. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

"...off you go into the superior sounding world of virtual instruments and effects."

interesting copy, there.

9. slamzilla

slamzilla Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    DFW
    Don't get me wrong, the new digital stuff is really cool but I will take an old school Trace Elliot lead sled over that stuff any day.

10. LexD

LexD

Aug 17, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: D'Ambrosio Guitars
    any day... for as long as my back holds out

traceBassRig.

11. Cutty

Cutty

Jun 25, 2006
    U.K.
    I agree,i have one!ok it's heavy,but when you plug it in!what a great tone.:)

12. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    I'm 56 years old. have been playing for 41 + years. I own a legacy Trace Elliot GPSM 7 300 (made in England) and I own a PUMA 500. The Trace is now one of my backups and pretty much stays home. My next move is a 2x12 cab that weighs 39 lbs rated at 1200 watts RMS. I just added years to my gigging life. Load in/out will be painless. If it's a phase it's one I like.

13. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Could you please elaborate with this statement?

The gk mb800 (800w at 5LBS) seems to be a "complete solution" to me.

I'm genuinely curious and not trying to be an ass. :)

14. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    ROFLMAO

15. jtl1380

jtl1380

Oct 12, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    To the OP: If you're a Trace fan and want a micro with a nice power section, you should probably check out the Ashdown MiBass 550. Mark Gooday was the chief engineer at Trace back in their glory days and the Ashdown amps definitely borrow a lot from what Trace Elliot used to be. The MiBass series are really great and full sounding micros. I have the 220 & the thing has tone for days.

16. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I'm also curious. He mentioned combos previously as being a "complete solution," but I don't buy that given the common design compromises with combos. It could certainly be done, but to my eyes/ears, it hasn't.

A micro amp coupled with a portable cab seems like a very ideal "complete solution" to me given that the cab compliment could be scalable. If you need more power, bring a larger cab, or multiple cabs. Very complete to me.

17. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    +1

The Markbass Littlemark has its 10th Anniv. edition out.

10 years is a bit more than a phase to me... and I am not sure, but there may have been micros before the LittleMarks. Acoustic Image perhaps?

18. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Right. And you could also use a micro as a pre and hook it up to a power amp if/when required.

19. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules!

Micro amps are a choice, not a phase. Why would they disappear when they have so many positive thing going for them? Genz Benz customer here, very happily.

20. BrentSimons

Mar 4, 2004
    Vergennes,VT USA
    Hmm, good to know thanks.
    Brent