Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot 1248

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kristoffer, Dec 18, 2005.

1. kristoffer

kristoffer

Jul 8, 2004
    Sweden
    Hey! I just bought a Trace Elliot 1248 cab for 500 swedish crowns (around 65 us$). I have been looking for one of these for awhile, and I just had to buy this one, since it was so cheap. I will go pick it up tomorrow :)

Now I have a question; I have a Trace V4-head and a 1153 cab (15"), the head have to cab-outputs, and there's also an ouput on the 1153. Is it possibly for me to use both cabs at the same time?

2. Of course you can; you can hook up both cabinets in parallel (i.e. each cab's connected to the amp by a seperate cable).

Put your amp in 4-ohm mode when you use two 8 ohm cabinets in parallel..
    Put your amp in 2-ohm mode when you use two 4 ohm cabinets in parallel.

3. You should be sure however the 15" cabinet is also 8 ohms. If it is 4 ohms it's a different story.

4. Your 15" cab will mor than likely be 8 ohm, but that 4x12 might be 4ohm. I don't know enough about the 4x12's tho to really say, Check impediances first!! nice buy! :)

5. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I'm pretty sure you are right!

The 4 x 12 if memory serves is 800 watts handling and 4 ohms impedance. The 1153 is 200 watts handling and 8 ohms impedance!

Personally I'd just stick the V4 inot the 4 x 12, not sure that the 1153 will buy you much - also 2/3 of the power will go to the 4 x 12 if the impedances are mismatched as I suspect they are.....

Have fun trying it out though! :bassist:

6. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    There was a thread a while back where somebody translated the Trace Elliot model numbering. For the larger cabs, like the 1248, you can read that as 12"x4, 8ohms.

Not sure how true that is... certainly the 1153 doesn't stick to that formula.

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

You know for a lot of them you are quite right........I should've remember this having owned a 1048 and 1048H and also a 1518........

Looks like I may have been talking.......( :eek: ).....the cab probably is a 8 ohms.

Strangely the 1518 I had was 15", 1 speaker 8 ohms and had a power handling of 300 watts. The 1153 was a 200 watt cab....

8. kristoffer

kristoffer

Jul 8, 2004
    Sweden
    I went to pick up the cab yesterday. When I got there I realize that it's not a 1248 cab, it's a 1048. But it's still a great price for it, and I always wanted a 4*10" so ofcourse I buy it. Looks like I have to find a 4*12 somewhere else now...

Both the 1048 and my 1153 is 8 ohms. Should I then set my amp to 4 ohms and it'll be ok?

9. Of course.

Your amp should be set to 4 ohm when you hook up two 8 ohm cabs in parallel.

10. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Yes, if you can set the amp to 4 ohms it'll be just fine!!!

Enjoy your new rig - think you're gonna like it!!!!! :bassist:

11. Still interested in the Trace 1248, the 4x12" 800 watt 8 ohm cabinet?

I got two and wanna sell one of them. But it's a lot more expensive then your 1048.

It's as good as new and I wanna have 600 euro equals about 5300 Swedish krone for it (It's 1250 euro equals about 11000 krone new).

Wiro,
    Groningen,
    the North of the Netherlands.

12. So Wiro,

why are you selling these cabinets?

b

13. kristoffer

kristoffer

Jul 8, 2004
    Sweden
    Thanks! Will try it out later today. The trace-sound is the best sound :)

Well, I am still wanting one, but it'll probably have to wait till after christmas. And I have seen ads for the 1248 for about 250-300 euro here in sweden, so I'll probably check the ads here first. But thanks for the offer.

14. Here's the story:
    I bought a used RAH600SMX head with the 1048H cabinet (4x10"). The head is perfect, but the cabinet couldn't keep up with the 600W, especially with the B-string. And the sound was too 'guitarish'. So I bought the 1248 and that one sounded great.
    Now I didn't use the 1048H any more. Then there was a guy who wanted to exchange his 1248 for a 1048H. So now I got two and only need one of them. :)

15. kristoffer

kristoffer

Jul 8, 2004
    Sweden
    Tried the cab today, and it's sounds really great. It really added something to my sound. Will try it with the band tomorrow :)

Attached Files:

• amp.jpg
      amp.jpg
      File size:
      20.7 KB
      Views: