1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trace Elliot Cab Missing Ports!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alanolynn, Aug 19, 2012.

1. alanolynn

alanolynn

Aug 19, 2012
    NNY
    Good morning to all!

This my first thread so thanks for reading...

So, I picked up a Trace Elliot 1528 Cab for next to nothing, but as it would turn out, the ports are just holes! No actually porting inside.:confused:

I'm trying to figure out what the dimensions of the ports are, and what would be the best material for the job.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

If there is nothing rattling around inside the cab, as in loose port tubes, then the holes are the ports: it was designed that way.

Btw, for future reference, hardware means bridges and tuners, etc. this belongs in AMPS forum.

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    The ports would be the diameter of the hole by the thickness of the baffle. Many cabinets use this method.

That said it is equally possible that 'tbird is correct and that the tubes are missing. If the condition of the ports look finished then probably there are no tubes.

4. alanolynn

alanolynn

Aug 19, 2012
    NNY
    The holes are not finished, and there is even some glue left around them. So I know that tubes were there.

Thanks for the help, Paul and for the correction/advice, tbird.

5. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

T/E should have the specs you need and maybe replacement tubes. You should attend to it so the max efficiency is reached. I don't see any problem using it until then. It just won't sound as good as it could.

6. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Hey Al, welcome to the wonderful world of talkbass. I played his cab the other day and it is definitely missing the ports. Even so, the cab just rocks balls. It sounds great and tone wise, gives my favorite cab a run for it's money. With the ports installed, Im betting it will gain much more efficiency in the low end. This cab reminded me why I thought I had a good tone (many years ago) with my old peavey 2x15, thats because I did. I had forgotten how good some of these 2x15's could sound. Im interested to hear what the port length should be and if anyone has the specs on the drivers for the 1528 or 1524 cabs. I couldn't find anything except that they were made by celestion.

7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    From what I've heard, Celestion are very closed with their driver specs. This confuses me 'cos I'd expect them to WANT to sell drivers.

8. JFOC

JFOC

Oct 23, 2010
    new hampShire
    I just picked up a 1524 this week.

The ports are black PVC 4 inches in diameter 6 inches long.

9. According Trace, Celestion custom made them specially for Trace's requirements.

The model numbering scheme is all over the place. I'm picking 1528 is a double banger 1153, like the new addition on the team trace thread, but 8 ohms seems unlikely. My 1518 is a single 15 8ohm, big box, big sound.

You should probably plug the holes in the meantime. It will be deeper but not as loud, safer for the drivers than open holes tuning.

10. alanolynn

alanolynn

Aug 19, 2012
    NNY
    I took the cab apart and it does still have the original Celestion speakears, and everything is still solid inside.

JFOC-Thanks!!

11. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Also make sure the insulation is up to speed. 1.5"-2" of open cell foam (mattress topper) should do it.

12. I never heard of 1528 before. Are you sure it isn't 1524 ?

13. alanolynn

alanolynn

Aug 19, 2012
    NNY
    Its a 1528, meaning 15"...x2....@8ohms

14. frettman

frettman

Feb 15, 2007
  15. New one on me.

The numbering isn't consistent across the range. The 1153 is an 8 ohm 1x15, go figure.

16. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I e-mailed trace elliot about any help locating replacement drivers for the 1524 and 1528 cabs and just never got a response. Anyone on here know what to replace them with so that they actually sound like the origionals? No, a 3015 won't sound like them but, a 15pr400 might be in the ballpark.

17. iirc Trace used Fane's for awhile. Try asking on the team trace thread.

My 1518 has 6" tubes too.