1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trace Elliot ECC83 Tube Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Angel LaHash, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Angel LaHash

Angel LaHash

Aug 24, 2012
    Well I cant figure out myself whats up with this. So am looking for someone who can repair them in the England (Im around Newark Nottinghamshire{A1/A46 Crossroads})

The Transformer dosnt seem to have markings on it, i know its connected on both sides, and the Prim is 400mH and the Second is 74mH and 576mH.

Any way, so looking for help with this. Turned it on and lights come on, wapped it up to near full and plugged in a guitar but nothing out, so turned it off and had a look at the circuit again and the tube was Smoking a bit, seems to be still all ok, ill try it out on a overdrive tube i have to make sure. :help:

Trace Elliot Super Tramp Tube 100W 4Ohms (200W Peak)

/\ isnt mine but the same Model /\

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You need a qualified amp tech. There is no substitute.

3. Angel LaHash

Angel LaHash

Aug 24, 2012
    well if we all think like that, computers would still be a BLACK ARTS Magic

Thats one of the biggest problems within the world, a nut come lose off a part on the car, 1) tighten it up 2) pay someone at high rate of pay to drink and tighten it.
    Some thing goes wrong on windows, so you ask some one on a forum who only found out themselfs by Error .. how everyone learns
    Im still trying to learn the Dark Arts of Swirling, know one guy who dose it right every time but its his living so, as right, dosnt want to tell. All the rest dont check the temp, how much water to Borax they are using .. IF GSK did that we would all be dead

4. JFOC

JFOC

Oct 23, 2010
    new hampShire
    Working on a computer doesn't carry a risk of electrocution. Even unplugged capacitors can kill...

If your looking for a tech, basschat.uk might have some more local knowledge.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Have at then. It's your amp, your life. Amplifiers require alot of equipment to work on. Things I'm sure you don't have access to. You want to learn- take a course. You want your amp repaired, get a tech.

6. Angel LaHash

Angel LaHash

Aug 24, 2012
    why any of you here!!

and if you taken a PSU apart it dose bit .. dam big Caps there
    And the Caps in the PSU is bigger than the ones in this AMP

Can Drain the Caps, and i dont want to poke around in the circuit when its alive
    its bad enough poking around the House Mains and Pat Testing/insulation Resistance test

----
    Emailed Trace Elliot and one of the designers from the old days, Whats left of Trace Elliot has sent me circuit diagram. 80W SuperTrap Power Amp and a TraceTramp PreAmp

7. It's a solid state guitar amp with a preamp tube. Poking around inside any amp can kill you stone dead even if you know exactly what you're doing but for some reason you forget a critical step.

Northern England huh, you might check with UK Guitar Squids for someone local.

8. Angel LaHash

Angel LaHash

Aug 24, 2012
    wow talk about TONES... POKING AROUND IN A AMP WHILE ON IS BIGGEST DANGER
    Grounding the CAPS to EARTH before TOUCHING any thing is BEST THING to do
    But i GUESS NON of you lot could think of that
    Just Bishy tones coming over here

9. Angel LaHash

Angel LaHash

Aug 24, 2012
    At the moment i can getting "Bishy" tones from this POST for asking for help

I did and still do Electronics, also do Electrical Installations just finishing my 2nd year.
    Now Electronic wise, giving me a circuit this big and just the board can be hard to follow for me..
    This is why i asked for help, if any one else NEAR BY, DONE THIS BEFORE, or COULD SUGGEST SOME THING (as has happened here)

Note I am only 36 and Valves Tubes had been and gone when i did electronics, i know how to use Transistors.
    This is also why i asked for help, not knowing TUBES that well, wanted input.

Now being 36 yes i have had SHOCKS, from CAPS, MAINS etc and i had MELTED some of my FINGUERS away
    As a Part of Electricals you learn about how much AMPS it takes to KILL SOMEONE
    Also had 230v (cant said the Amps 13!! Mains) around my Heart, and also touched a Buzz Bar Live 100A RCD
    Plus licked a 9v batterie but lets not get in to that :oops:

10. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Can you get it to here: http://bedfordguitars.co.uk/

Amp tech there is good. Closest guy I can personally recommend.

And yeah, electricity isn't nearly as scary as people make out, but hey, more better paid work for people that aren't so scared of it.

11. toomanyslurpees

toomanyslurpees

Jan 21, 2009
  12. Sliderbass

Sliderbass Dr. Bass, The best cabinet you'll NEVER own!

I just LOVE Talkbass! The United Nations of bass players!

13. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    OP, forgive me but it simply terrifies me when I read a post such as yours. I fear for your safety.

Grounding out filter capacitors is no way to drain them. It is, however, a very good way to damage them. The pre-amp tube was smoking a bit?? They never smoke.

Diagnosing a problem across the internet is not an easy process. There are a lot of folk here, myself included, who have the ability to repair your amp if in its presence. From a world away not so much.

Getting your knickers in a twist because we are failing to help you will get you nowhere. The fact that you have a disability is no excuse for a tantrum. Many, many of us have disabilities too but most of us still act in a civilized manner.

May I wish you luck with your amplifier problem. I sincerely hope you get it resolved.

Bim1959 likes this.
  14. Angel LaHash

Angel LaHash

Aug 24, 2012
    Thank you Mr Foxen, BassmanPaul and TooManySulPees

Felt there comments judging, racist and non productive (degrees of bulling)
    more that they were in the trade trying to make money.
    The company that own trace sent me wrong diagram and one of the makers said he doesn't have the circuit any more.

As you pointed out ways I could kill it or myself, what is one thing I was keen to know.

So the best thing I could see with my question, point out dangers, how a tube reacts, and circuit to follow. And like myself if can't help I don't comment.

Forums are no place for me, I will help were I can, but will not ask for help again.
    I've watched too much cyber bulling, (never seen any one say watch out for solder, as hot stuff can burn)

The End
    (I do expect nasty comments afterwards, and the stick pokers)

15. W T F???

Where is the racism and the bullying?
    People tried to help... :confused:

16. There are some crossed wires here.

OP, I think you must need some help with getting along in the world. Nothing was posted here that anyone would take to be derrogatory in any way until someone called you insane for going off the deep end at imagined insults.

On a forum you need to to turn up your ignore filter when you feel put down and carry on without kicking up a fuss. On current form you will miss out on a lot of useful interactions until you you get the hang of it.

If you would like a helping hand feel free to shoot me a PM when you suspect someone is having a go at you. I will let you know when you are being trolled and when someone is only trying to help.

17. Sliderbass

Sliderbass Dr. Bass, The best cabinet you'll NEVER own!

WOW! Was it something we said?

You asked a question and were given answers YOU didn't like. The experts were trying to avoid you killing YOURSELF. How exactly is that any of the terms you stated in your last post?

18. There is a line in an old Billy Joel song about not arguing with some people. OP clearly has issues uncommon to a garden variety TB troll. A pile-on here isn't going to help.

19. Well no pile on intended. When you have a loss of signal if nothing jumps out and says I am BBQ'ed. A tech will need to trace the signal path with the amp in operation to find the loss of gain or just where the signal is being lost. Otherwise just start throwing new parts at it till it starts working again.

20. If anyone is still reading this I have a similar problem and before you ask yes I am an electrician and spent 30 years doing power electronics and I know valves hartley/colpits oscillators etc. The supply transformer is shot and there are no details on it eg secondary voltages. Would anyone have a schematic or know what they are?