1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trace Elliot Elf Heads with 2x8 Cab report.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Red Planet, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet SUSPENDED

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    So I picked up one of these wee little buggers a while back as a splurge kind of gear purchase. Was actually looking for a small combo but didn't like any of the units I played and they had this thing in stock. I played it and it smoked most of the small combos I played. So I went for it and brought it home. I got a deal as the cab has some scratches, they knocked off 120 bucks from the entire rig.

Been playing it a while but haven't had a chance to use it in a band context until earlier this week and using it at church tomorrow with a rehearsal today. I cant believe I was getting repeated requests to turn down. I couldn't believe how loud it truly was with a band.

So this little guy I would say is rated conservatively as its rated 130 watts into an 8 ohm load. There definitely is a sweet spot for clean headroom on the input gain depending of the output level of the bass. So I set it so the gain just turns on the orange light when I really slam it and I dime the master then set my L1500 at half way on the volume (as its has a really stinking hot signal).

Anyway I thought Id just pass it along was really happy with my tone this morning. Also was using the Mesa Subway DI going thru to the amp and the preamp out XLR to house so I could control my level to the console and get the correct level back to Aviom. I actually was getting a good loud but not overdriven level back to the my ears, it was heaven.

So needless to say I was a happy camper.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I've been trying to convince myself not to order one of these - you're not helping. :)

/\/\3phist0 and Red Planet like this.
  3. Red Planet

Red Planet SUSPENDED

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Sorry, it is a very nice amp.

Really I didn't take this amp that serious when I purchased it. The original goal was to use on a once a month Flow that involves very little PA and electronic drums but this amp is much more substantial than that.

I have a rehearsal with a very loud drummer/Allman Brothers Project next week and am going to try it out to see how it does.

bholder likes this.
  4. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Subbed! Please let us know how that turns out with your ELF stack. Congrats on your purchase!

Red Planet likes this.
  5. Red Planet

Red Planet SUSPENDED

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta

Not sure if this will come through right, its live! The Elf is around behind the drum cage .

MuffledBoomy likes this.
  6. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Video works, thankfully came up on mute, because preacher be preachin', I want to hear bass player playin'. ;)

7. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Sounds darned good! :thumbsup: and plenty loud enough!

Thanks, finally convinced me - ordered. :D Even got $50 off on the cab, there was a demo. ;)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    Red Planet likes this.
  8. Red Planet

Red Planet SUSPENDED

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I am just lovin on the little Elf. I have some 1x12 cabs so when I hook the 2x8 and one 1x12 up its really loud.

9. Prana Ferox

Prana Ferox

Dec 4, 2015
    Omaha, NE
    The Faital 8PR200s model out pretty beastly. I'm DIY'ing a 2x8 with them right now and it took some self-argument to not just buy the Trace. At $120 off you got the whole cab for less than retail for the drivers.

Red Planet likes this.
  10. GnomishViking

GnomishViking

Dec 16, 2015
    How do the lows sound with the 2x8 cab? I listened to the vid but it was hard to hear over the drums. (typical) I would really like to have the elf and 2 of the 2x8 cabs in verticle. but im worried it wont be enough power or the lows will lack alot.

I mostly play in a church band too that can get decently loud.

11. Red Planet

Red Planet SUSPENDED

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    The thing kicks with a 5 string it has no problem replicating the low B. I may have mentioned before but I used it at church with the one cab the 2 by 8 and got repeatedly asked to turn it down the darn little things a lot louder than you would think it would be. Into a 4 ohm load it's really loud. And the cool thing is you can put the amp in your pocket.

For those that might want to know also into a big 4 ohm cab if you've got the amp cranked and you hit a pretty hard lick that spikes it will go into protect mode. Not sure why but I think it just takes it to the edge of its limit so the amp shuts off for about 2 seconds. I play pretty aggressive so it's pretty easy for me to find this spot but I can turn the amp down just a little bit and that issue goes away and that's only in a big cab for whatever reason.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  12. Basscasey

Basscasey

Apr 17, 2018
    Portland, OR
    That sounds ADORABLE! (and that tone is amazing!)

Microbass likes this.
  13. Probably that big cab has a slightly lower impedance than the Elf cabs so amp gives out a little too much for its own good.

Red Planet likes this.
  14. GnomishViking

GnomishViking

Dec 16, 2015
    Interesting. I would really like to try one but I can’t find a place I’m Canada that sells them. Hence why I’m sceptical a 2x8 can keep up so well. On of my fav set ups I had was 2 ampeg 2x10 stacked vertically. So two of these 2x8s seem very interesting.

Red Planet likes this.
  15. Red Planet

Red Planet SUSPENDED

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    So two of the 2x8 would definitely pummel no doubt about it. I used one 2x8 and one 1x12 to drop it to 4 Ohms and it gets loud the only thing is like I said before the spls with the 12 is louder than the eights so all you can here's the 12 but it gets a lot louder.

GnomishViking likes this.
  16. Trace Elliot - brand products | Cosmo Music

jonnybass1 likes this.
  17. GnomishViking

GnomishViking

Dec 16, 2015
    Red Planet and Deak like this.
  18. Yeah, believe me I've considered this for a long time. Why would I buy the 2x8 when two 1x10s is the same price and will let me run at 4 ohms?

Deak likes this.
  19. Red Planet

Red Planet SUSPENDED

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Because of the cost of the drivers inside the 2 by 8 if you buy them without the cab there $200 a piece

20. GnomishViking

GnomishViking

Dec 16, 2015
    So are the 8inchers a much higher quality can than the 10s?