Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot first V-Type?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eagle, May 15, 2004.

1. eagle

eagle

Jun 13, 2002
    Sweden
    What year was TE introducing the first V-Type head?
    And the 220 watts..is it in 8 o 4 ohms?

2. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    i'm guessing early 90's :meh:

3. eagle

eagle

Jun 13, 2002
    Sweden
    How many many Preamp tubes is it in that model?

4. So Eagle, are you referring to the V-4?

5. eagle

eagle

Jun 13, 2002
    Sweden
    no the first V-Type..the model before they started V4 and V6

6. I'm not precisely sure which amp you're referring to, but I gather it's the solid state (220 watt @ 8 Ohms) V-Series head. It actually came out over here at about the same time as the V6 if I'm not mistaken. I believe it is the same generation of gear.

I'm guessing that it came out around 1993. I checked the catalogue for 1991 and there's nothing listed in there.

7. I think that it is 220 watts@4 ohms and should have 3-ECC83(12AX7's) in the preamp but I could be wrong.

8. eagle

eagle

Jun 13, 2002
    Sweden
    It is an all valve amp...four output tubes..I found it at a local store and thinking of getting it..
    I have looked around the net but all models I have seen is the V4 with four output tubes..this one is just named V-Type..All valve amplifier..

9. That is the first version released in 1997. It was just called the "V-type" until the V6 was introduced later and then it became the "V4." It's a great amp.

10. eagle

eagle

Jun 13, 2002
    Sweden
    Is it 220 watts in 4 or 8 ohm?
    It says 440 watts peak.

11. I found one locally (way overpriced) and checked it out. It's 220 watts into either 4 or 8 ohms.

12. eagle

eagle

Jun 13, 2002
    Sweden
    What was the price?

13. The unit for sale is essentially NOS and the asking price is $1500CDN. Way out of line, IMHO.

14. eagle

eagle

Jun 13, 2002
    Sweden
    I found a review/test on this amp in a Swedish magazine from april 1996...back then the price was 840$...the dealer that has the amp I looked at wants 900$...And I have seen one at another local dealer for 1600$... Why are the prices higher now on these amps than when they were brand new?
    Vintage value?

15. Since the Gibson acquisition of Trace Elliot and a subsequent move to Gnashville (no disrespect), production of bass amps ceased when the parts ran out. There have been rumours of new products but I am not aware of anything as yet. TE built great bass amps. It was the end of an era.

Supply and demand dictates pricing. They are great amps and worth what folks will ante up for them. Considering the wonderful job Gibson has done for other brands (Tobias and Steinberger come to mind) I would expect the same bright future for TE. That might explain the prices.

16. eagle

eagle

Jun 13, 2002
    Sweden
    I mailed Gibson about the watt specs...they said 220 watts at 4 ohms...would that mean about 110 watts in 8 ohms?

17. No. Tube amps produce the same power into all of their rated outputs, which are tapped off of the output transformer at differing ratios. It's 220 watts at 4 ohms and 220 watts at 8 ohms if it has an 8 ohm output. If it doesn't, you don't want to run an 8 ohm load; it could damage the amp.

18. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Killer amps BTW. I have a V6 and love it.

19. eagle

eagle

Jun 13, 2002
    Sweden
    Now all I need is a matching cab :D

20. Did you score the amp? It sounds like congratulations are in order (or will be very soon). I have 3 TEs and love them all.