1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trace Elliot issues

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by b.bandit, Apr 24, 2006.

1. b.bandit

b.bandit

Sep 20, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I have a Trace Elliot AH 300 into a homebuilt 2 12 with emeince delta 12 LF speakers.

I have not really been feeling my tone latley, when I crank it up it starts to get nasty. I don't feel like I get enough out of those 12's. Should I got for 15's or 10's and a 15, or can a stand alone 15 get the job done?

I want to know how output of the traynor YBA 200 and the Trace differ?
    What are some tube amps I should watch out for?

I am not sure if it is strictly the amp though the cab or the cab itself.

2. If it's getting nasty, try turning down the the low lows... It could also be the cab; depending on your cab engineering skills.

most trace SS or hybrids are always happy paired with a 4x10 and a 15. Course, you don't NEED that all the time! I personally use a 2x10 + 15. But thats huge for home use; One or the other still sounds great as far as I'm concerned.
    There is nothing a modern high end cabinet can't achieve.. ya just gotta know what you want yourself for the TB folks to help out!

that AH300 should be very powerful for only 300W - of course, if you ain't diggin' it then ya won't go nowheres fast... :)

3. It probably the cab itself.
    I made mine but I do copy from the another and I have no problem but those who design theirs could have this trouble. You need to match the speakers and the vent port as well to get a decent punch.

4. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    The cab is probably your problem, making a good sounding cab (an efficient) cab is more involved than just sticking some speakers in a box. 99% of the time they just don't sound as good a cab that was designed and carfully planned out taking the speakers, cab size, porting ect. into account. Unless, you really know what you are doing and have quite a bit of experience in that area.

Shortly, it's not your head, but you cab that's the weak link in your rig. I'd try getting something from a reputable manufacturer.

5. b.bandit

b.bandit

Sep 20, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I believe who ever made this cab copied avatar's b212, well acually the porting is a bit off, unless avatar has changed thier cabs at all. I have no Idea on the date of the cab.

I liked the rumble of a 15 but will it have enough clarity,
    2x15 or 2x10 & 15?

I want that feeling that you know that bass is there, you feel it room shaking. I had my lows backed off a bit, my mids are the most influnced by the EQ.

Any idea's on affordable companies cabs, or can be had used at a good price?

I'd like a more old school tone. Which is why I am considering leaving the Trace for All Tube. All in all, I need to be under 1k, for the cab and amp.
    I just bought a G&L sb-1 and am recouping from that, and was looking foward to a Peavey t-40. Needless to say I need to be careful with my purchases.

6. b.bandit

b.bandit

Sep 20, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Any more thoughts

7. b.bandit

b.bandit

Sep 20, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I know this is old, But I just want to say I have finally got an all tube amp and I am in so much more of a happier place, tone wise.