1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trace Elliot V-Type Tube question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by twinfallsbass, Apr 9, 2009.

1. twinfallsbass

twinfallsbass Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Somewhere in AZ
    Recently acquired a Trace Elliot V-Type amp. Still has all the OEM pre/power tubes in it:hyper: It looks like Trace Elliot rebadged the KT88's and preamp tubes, what brand are these REALLY? The KT88's, to me, look like rebranded Electro Harmonics, what do you think?

2. twinfallsbass

Jan 24, 2005
    Somewhere in AZ
    Some more PICS. I do have the back grill, I just took it off for pics sake

Attached Files:

3. twinfallsbass

Jan 24, 2005
    Somewhere in AZ
    No Trace Guys out there?

4. twinfallsbass

Jan 24, 2005
    Somewhere in AZ
    Umm, hello:eyebrow:

5. some how i don't think there going to be russian kt88s!

6. twinfallsbass

Jan 24, 2005
    Somewhere in AZ
    Thanks. I can't believe none of the Trace/Tube guys have jumped in on this one.:confused:

7. ah was that the v-type on ebay? if so congrats. i put in a couple of bids near the end. the final price was a steal. how does she play?

someone may correct me, but some where i read that trace tubes were some kind of re-branded chinese tubes. i never thought the ones in my v-types were anything special. i just changed the preamp tubes in my v300h to JJ's and i LOVE the difference.

8. twinfallsbass

Jan 24, 2005
    Somewhere in AZ
    Hi, thanks for the response. Yes, it was the one off ebay, and I could not believe I got it for what i did:hyper: I will be retube this head with all JJ tubes and save the OEM for nostalgia reasons, they might not be worth something now, but down the road I think they will. So far I am REALLY liking the tone I am getting, very different from the Mesa and Traynor heads I have; this thing puts out a lot of bass.:bassist: I can see this becoming my " go to " head after I swap out the pre/power tubes.

9. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    Congrats on outbidding me. Very good deal. Happy for you my friend. Enjoy.

10. twinfallsbass

Jan 24, 2005
    Somewhere in AZ
    Hi, thanks for the kind words. I am surprised these are so rare, it seems like a really good design, I can't believe Trace Elliot did not make more:confused:

11. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    they are chinese cheapos.
    congrats on a great amp, albeit with a rusty inside

12. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    What's the weight like on those? I have the V-Type hybrid, really like it, but one of the all tube models would be really sweet.

13. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    my V6 weighs around 30 kg, the V4 a bit less and the V8 a bit more.

14. twinfallsbass

Jan 24, 2005
    Somewhere in AZ
    Thanks. It does have a little rust the usual places: screws, transformers.... Other than that it is in GREAT shape. The package weight was around 50+lbs, but compared to my 400+, it's a leight weight.

Does anyone know what the " Flat " settings are on this amp? Is flat at 12:00, or fully counter clockwise...... I did a search and could not come up with anything.

15. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    flat settings

bass 0 (boost only)
    mids max (cuts only)
    treble 0 (boost only, deosn't work when bass and mids maxed)

the eq is passive and a bit weird at first. the eq is also 'interactive', the settings of one influence the others so very little adjustment will go a long way. also, toy with the gain and master :)

16. twinfallsbass

Jan 24, 2005
    Somewhere in AZ
    Great, Thanks! Does anyone have a schematic they could send me for this head? For some reason the ones on britishaudioservice.com do not download and give me an error when trying. Or could someone tell me the Bias rating for the KT88's and the potentiometer in which to adjust it. I know the high voltages I am dealing with ( and respect them ) and I work with high powered medical devices as my day job, if anyone has this info I would REALLY appreciate it.

17. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
  18. twinfallsbass

Jan 24, 2005
    Somewhere in AZ
    That's them, thanks for that. If this amp sounds good with those, I can't wait to hear it with my JJ KT88's in it. Thanks again

19. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Checking the schematic the tone stack is virtually identical to the classic Fender Showman.

Paul