1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trace plus Schroeder?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mlwarriner, Sep 24, 2008.

1. mlwarriner

mlwarriner

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
    OK, I just picked up a Trace Elliot V-Type combo. 1x15, 250 watts.

But now DCR and I are in negotiations regarding his Schroeder 21012 cab.

I've heard stories about Schro. cabs not sounding their best with certain heads, and was wondering if anyone here had ever hooked up their Schro to a TE V-Type hybrid head.

???

Help?

2. mlwarriner

mlwarriner

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
    nobody here? surely someone has used their schro and the v-type together...

3. I almost went for dcr's cab, but ended up getting a light version (cost me more).

I will say dcr was a joy to talk with. He seems to be a great guy. R or L , the 21012
    is a great sounding cab.

Are you wanting to use it as an extension cab for your combo? I don't think that's really enough power.

4. mlwarriner

mlwarriner

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
    naah, i was thinking about picking it up and removing the head from my combo and just running it as a standard head/cab config.

5. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I play a V8 through a Schroeder 1210 and a Berg 610 (different times). The Schroeder sounds awesome and definitely holds it's own (and then some) with the bigger bergie.

Took down all our old tracks but this was recorded with the V8 + Schroeder + MM Sterling.

www.myspace.com/twomeatsandaveg

Only play dirty on this track though, so no clean sorry!

6. 250 watts just seems a little low,even if you're running the Schroeder by itself.
    I think you could do it for a little while. I wouldl sell/trade the combo for a Little Mark II or something 450watts or more.

You can damage speakers by underpowering them.

7. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
  8. mlwarriner

mlwarriner

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
    :eyebrow::rollno::scowl:

9. What I meant...if you push an amp all the way the distortion can damage the voice coils.
    Meaning running a 250watt amp all the way up on a cab that can take 1000watts, isn't safe, even though it's not exceeding the watt rating.
    The harmonic distortion can't melt the coils?

Is that wrong? Sorry if I am.

Also, Jorg was quick to point out that Trace Elliot watts aren't inflated.
    They seem to have "stronger" watts than other manufacturers.
    His cabs are so super effecient, that it'd be fine.

I was just improperly regurgitating things I've heard on here.

So if 250 watts of Trace is equal to 300-350 watts. it should sound good.

I've just heard here on TB, the more you push a Schroeder the better it sounds.

Sorry, I'm still learning.