trace vs. ashdown

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jnightmare, Sep 18, 2005.

1. jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    i did a search and couldn't really find enough info. on this. but i was wondering has anyone AB'd the 2 companys amps before. i remember reading on the forms that some of the trace engineers went to ashdown so i wanted to know how closely related they sound? i currently have a TE AH500X but i alwasy wanted to get a ashdown 500 EVO II head. so i was wondering how they compare?
  2. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i once had a TE ah 400 (i think that was the model) for a very very brief period of time. i thought it was junk. im sure the amp was probably really awsome, but i have an idea that it wasnt tip top when it came to me. in any event, i didnt like it very much.

so after playing through... i dont know maybe 4 or 5 more amps all within a months time i ended up gettgin an ashdown abm 900. AWSOME. i love mine. if anything ever happned to it id be crushed. and its pre EVO II days so its not likely ill find another like it. i love the ashdown stuff.
  3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Ashdown and Trace are VERY similar. I think when Trace was bought by Gibson some of the engineers from Trace formed Ashdown or something along those lines. However, tonally they sound similar, but Ashdown does not have any of the all tube models Trace used to make.
  4. jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    anyone else compare the 2?
  5. From what I understand, there isnt much difference (sound and quality-wise) between the pre-gibson trace stuff and the ashdown stuff.. Now, there is a big different between the post-gibson trace and ashdown.

I'd say, if your equiptment is a pre-gibson, stick with because going to ashdown isnt really an upgrade. Its going from one great product to another. Now, if your stuff is post-gibson, I'd say going to ashdown would be an upgrade.
  6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Pre Gibson and Post Gibson actually didn't see a drop in quality until they discontinued the line all together... At least, it didn't drop in the quality of the tube amps. Not so sure on the hybrids though...
  7. jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA

thing is i hate the weight of the trace thats why i've been considering maybe an ashdown and selling mine off.
  8. Yeah, EVERYTHING Trace has is heavy.. I have 4 trace cabs and I love how they sound but I cant justify carrying around a 70+ pound 2x10 to a gig.
  9. I went from a Trace AH250 head and TE 4 x 10, to a Trace AH500 with TE 4 x 10 and 1 x 15......then, after developing back trouble to an Ashdown ABM500 EVO with Mini48 and Mini15 cabs!

Sound quality and reliabilty between Pre and Post Gibson to me was exactly the same - can't say I noticed any significant difference. However, I did miss the UV lamp to illuminate the front panel! The AH500 also had the built in 2 band compressor which was nice!

Moving to the Ashdown rig, I found a huge reduction in weight - almost 40kgs all in, no reduction in volume (that I could detect - although I've never had all of the rigs up full!!!), and the tone is fine with the Ashdown - possibly more versatile, as dialing in the pre-amp valve gives more warmth than my Trace AH500....

Weight wise, the Ashdown is a winner, and to me tonewise and volume wise there are no problems!
  10. jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    i dont really play a 5 stringer but just curious how the ashdown handles the low B? i usually though only play as low as drop D. but just curious if in the future i ever do decide to get a 5'er.

11. Not a problem! I have 3 5 stringers just now and they all sound fine through it (in fact I also have an Electric Blue 130 with a 15"speaker whihc also works well with the 5 stringers!)

I also had a 4 stringer with a hipshot D tuner, which sounded good - so down to D or down to low B you should be fine! :bassist:
  12. I had some 350w trace head and 4x10"+1x15. and now i have Ashdown ABM 500 evo and i couldn´t be happier.
    And soundvise they´re completely different animals..
    But if you run them both flat, they will sound not so different.
    Ashdown has much more bottom end and warmth than TE.

I personally think that u can´t go wrong with ashdown.
    But then again it all comes down to personally preferences..

Best regards.
  13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA