1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trade possibility...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by theoldmiami, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Should I trade an Ampeg SVT-410HLF for a Genz-Benz 410-XB?

2. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I cant really vote yet. I owned the HLF cab years ago running it with a GK1001RBI. Surprisingly, I blew a 10" driver out of this cab twice. I think that was more me pushing the cab way too hard at that time. But when in use it really kicked butt with in your chest thump.

Ive got a XB-2 cab coming to me this week so I'll know then how this cab functions. I've read here it can be a very good 410 cab. I hope so cause I bought without trying one out first and hope to be able to use it as a stand alone cab or with one of my GB Neox212T cabs at larger rooms. I also own a SWR Goliath III 410 cab, similar specs but I'm hoping for more with the GB cab. I'll know soon, maybe I can come back and vote on your survey then. Be sure and post with what you ended up with.

3. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    Depends on what amp you are using. If you are using an Ampeg amp, go with the ampeg cab. If you are using a more modern tone amp, go with the Genz Benz.

I had the XB-2 4-10 cabinet and it didn't sound all that great with my SVT4 Pro.

These are the amps that sounded really good through the GB XB2 4-10 cabinet.

Genz Benz GBE600
    SWR SM500
    GK 700RB

These are the amps that I have tried through the Ampeg 410 cab that sounded really good.

Thunderfunk
    Mark Bass LMII
    Ampeg SVT4 Pro
    Aguilar DB359

4. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    to apply those amps as you did, CC. Looks like OP has the LM-II so that might help him decide, hope he has a chance to try it out with his amp. I'll be powering mine with GBE750. What's the significance of the -2 as opposed to just XB? Was there a dramatic change between the 2 cabs?

5. Thanks for the advice... I'm running a Little Mark II. The Ampeg just a bit too boomy for my taste, but it does seem that those Genz-Benz cabinets resell for much lower than the Ampeg SVT-410HLFs do, so I may just sell it.

6. Is the Genz 410XB the one with the round ports on the bottom??
    I didn't like the way those series of cabs sounded.
    Lows were kinda washy and not a lot of punch/kick in the chest.
    just IMO.

Now the NEOX212 is absolutly freakin' amazing sounding. And I heard that the Uber 410 is supposed to be insane as well.

If you have the option, I would check out the NOEX212.
    Sick cab.........

7. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    The XB2 has the ports at the bottom. If you are going to use the GBE750, you will really like this cabinet. IMO coupled with the GBE600 amp this cabinet had a nice clear lowend with plenty of punch. I used the mid scoop switch on the amp which to me made the cabinet sound better. This is a great modern sound combination!

8. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    I would trade it for an Uber410 if I were you.

9. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    The XB2 series cabs are a bit boomy IMO. If you want that, then GREAT! I prefer more punch with a tight bottom. The NeoX 212 is that, and it seems the Uber 410 is being described that way also. Plus the Uber would save you 30 pounds.

10. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Well if y'all are addressing me here as well, I have 2 212T cabs that Ive used together with the GB750 a couple gigs. Maybe you've seen some of my posts on issues Ive had, (how could you miss em :smug:) anyway, I play a couple of particularly large, open, biker bars where maybe the 212's are abit too tight and clear for those rooms, just my thought here but maybe the 410 will throw better/farther. I see where the cab is to be delivered today to me. I've got a gig at that big bar this Friday. It'll be packed with bikers and yes biker-chicks (always a plus). I'll be using a 212T with the 410 to see how that works out, I''m guessing I'll know pretty quick. In a smaller club this past Sat the 2-212's kicked butt. So like in GFRR's tune, "I'm getting closer to my home" or I should say tone, I hope. Peace. :cool:

11. rushpowertrio

rushpowertrio

Mar 16, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I would be interested in trading my Genz Benz XB 4x10 Cab for an Ampeg Cab. My band plays classic rock so I seek the vintage sound. However, I have the GBE600 head too which I would have to trade for an Ampeg SVT head most likely.

12. mat666

mat666

Apr 3, 2007
    montreal
    it depends of what you want - take the cabs with same bass and head so you can see wich one you prefer. IMO ampeg sound too muddy but they are great cab and worth buying it