1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

transfer auditions

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by DoubleIanBass11, Oct 6, 2010.

1. DoubleIanBass11

DoubleIanBass11

Oct 6, 2010
    hello, i am a first year student at a smaller university and I'm looking to transfer to an actual music school/conservatory. would you say that the odds of my acceptance into the program are lower because I'd be a transfer student? My top two choices are Curtis and Peabody (I know two of the top schools) I just want realistic answers.

2. mdwallace

mdwallace

Apr 1, 2010
    New York City
    I seriously doubt that your odds of acceptance will be affected by having done a year of college already. If anything, it seems to me to only be a positive thing, for both you and the school.

While you look into going this route, keep in mind that music school admission is mostly based on your audition. Depending on the school, it probably ranges from 75%-99.9% based on your audition, so make that a priority. Good luck!

3. Andrew Hamilton

Andrew Hamilton Guest

Apr 18, 2010
    It is my understanding that it is extremely difficult to gain acceptance to Curtis as a transfer student...well I should say even more difficult. I'm sure that it's possible, but I've never heard of it happening.

4. Magneto_Man

Magneto_Man

Apr 19, 2010
    Boston, MA
    a few years ago a guy from colburn transfered to curtis

5. PaulCannon

PaulCannon

Jan 24, 2002
    Frankfurt, Germany
    NS Design Endorsing Artist
    Many, many Curtis students have been transfers or took the audition multiple times. You should ask Hal Robinson directly for clarification, but I don't believe transfer status has any bearing on the audition results.

That said, to the OP, you should perhaps broaden your search for a new school. There are many places in the world where you can receive an excellent training. Considering Curtis has the lowest acceptance rate of any school in the country (sorry, Harvard), this school should be deemed a "reach" for anyone regardless of ability level.

Try to identify the things you want in a school and in a teacher. Be honest about your goals, where your current level is, and what sort of environment you will be most successful in. Curtis and Peabody are both known for their "competitive" atmosphere. Some people thrive in those conditions, but others might become jaded or disinterested. Curtis is a very small program, with 7 bass students and less than 150 students total. Peabody is a quite a bit larger. There are plenty of schools with something in between.

Lastly, give your school choices an honest cost-benefit analysis. Even Curtis with its free tuition is expensive to attend when you consider cost of living in Philadelphia. Many conservatories will charge full tuition for undergraduates. Is their program going to be worth the thousands of dollars it costs to attend? Is it worth the hassle of transferring from your current school?

I'm not trying to talk you out of anything, but I want to make sure you know what you're looking for. Music school is expensive given the general success rate, but if you love it you should absolutely go for it. There are many kinds of music programs and it's important to find a good fit for who you are. Good luck.

6. ouija

ouija

Jan 18, 2009
    Curtis usually invites the top of their auditions list who don't get in to come back and audition again, so I don't imagine they'd have a problem with a transfer. I don't know about Peabody, although the teachers are pretty open minded in general. I think the best thing you can do if you're worried would probably be to email Hal or any of the Peabody teachers and ask them what they think.

7. eerbrev

eerbrev

Dec 6, 2009
    Ottawa, ON, CAN
    I was a transfer student from one smaller school to another slightly larger school ( U of Ottawa), and I found the only hitch in transferrance was in the admissions department. Because they didn't really know what to do with my or my transfer credits, it took a longer time for me to get my official acceptance letter (i'd been told I was in by the music school admin for some time, and by my prof some time before that).

Aside from that, I have had no problems being a transfer student, and if anything, going to another university for a year helped me make a stronger audition tape.

Good luck on your audition(s).

eerbrev

8. Blakewdm

Blakewdm

Jun 17, 2008
    Hey man,

I just graduated The Curtis Institute, Hal has no predispositions towards any players other than, where they are for how old they are. Meaning if a 20 year old player sounds good, but a 18 year old sounds just as good, he would most likely accept the younger one, as is the way he works. Of course, in the end I don't profess to speak for Hal. But quite a few of Hal's students were transfer students, so don't fret! And on top of all that, there are tons of great teachers where you can really further yourself. In the end it is most important to be in an environment that will push you, and embrace you. And if you go to a school and you feel as if you are the best as a freshman, then you need a different school/ more competitive class!
    Lemme know if you have any questions!
    Blake

9. DoubleIanBass11

DoubleIanBass11

Oct 6, 2010
    Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate all the input.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021