1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Traynor Monoblock II up in smoke today.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oinkbanana, Jul 22, 2012.

1. oinkbanana

oinkbanana

Oct 20, 2011
    A Traynor Monoblock II went up in smoke toda
    the other guitarist started using it into an SWR Goliath senior 6X10 for extra umph, but we were trying out a new bassist so he plugged into there too. and we plugged in the extra 18" ampeg cab we have for even more lows. we were running the amp close to dimed.

Not sure if the input signal was too hot
    Not sure if the maxed out EQ was a bad idea
    Not sure if running two 4Ohm cabs took it to the edge
    Not sure if we were pulling too much juice from the circuit (lowering the voltage)
    but it started smoking
    smelt burnt for over an hour, and it never produced another sound.

these heads should handle 2Ohms without a sweat right?

the block belonged to the drummer. i'm sure he's sad.

2. It must have just been its time. I've got one that was regularly used at 2 ohms cranked for a long time.

3. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    It's made to take 2 ohms, though I'm not sure that anything does 2 ohms dimed "without a sweat." At any rate, it's a very old amp. There could be a variety of reasons it went down and maybe the way you were running it was just incidental.

4. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Me thinks you and the guitarist owe the drummer another amp. A guitar and A BASS through an amp running wide open with with the bass maxxed??? And you asked what went wrong? Some people.

5. It's a sad sad day to see a Traynor go up in smoke. Not a common occurrence. It may be fixable though. I personally think it'd be worth the repair. I don't have any experience with the Mono II specifically but most Traynor amps I have worked on were all very easy to service.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    This is a joke thread. Gotta be.

7. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    [​IMG]

8. oinkbanana

oinkbanana

Oct 20, 2011
    not sure why i'd be joking...
    just wanted to bounce some ides.
    i'm really surprised it smoked, I always had the impression those things are built like tanks.

it's gonna get serviced, that's for certain. no amp graves.

i personally have no liability in this (aside from lending my 18" cab at their request). I play my gear and don't like to borrow for exactly these situations... hesitate lending as well (but that's another story). I figure they design amps to be dimed, max knob values are arbitrary to design. assume it's a poor design if an amp can't handle it's own values. no?
    and using both inputs is only likely to mud up the signal, no overload it.
    I assume these things- but school on - I didn't start this thread to only hear myself talk

monoblocks are the LAST amp i'd expect to burn out.

9. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    No, not at all. Do they automobile design engines to run constantly at or above their rev limiter? Just because the gas pedal goes all the way down, you don't keep your foot in it the whole time. Like engines, all amplifiers have their limitations and it's up to the operator to make sure they operate the amplifier within its reasonable limits.

10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Everything cranked, with added lows that ask way more of the amplifier...where the cabs may be dipping below the nominal impedance.

Sounds like everything unfolded like clockwork to me.

11. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    "Like engines, all amplifiers have their limitations and it's up to the operator to make sure they operate the amplifier within its reasonable limits."

Exactly.

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    The amp should have been able to handle just about anything you threw at it. However it's still at least thirty years old. Quite possibly it was in need of some TLC before the event. Should you need a power transformer I have one.

13. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Bet that combo of cabs has a brutally inconsistent impedance.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Some amps handle diming everything better than others, but even the most stout designs can only take so much. You were clearly asking for more than what that amp had to offer by diming it AND making it a 2 ohm load with wildly mismatched speakers.

15. oinkbanana

oinkbanana

Oct 20, 2011
    I can get behind the gas pedal analogy. I always figured a dimed amp was like a non-master-volume, ya know? not all amps built equal; check.

why would mismatched speakers make a difference?

I was actually considering adding the 18" to my svt810 for my SVT-VR. should I not even bother trying? (we're a doom band, everyone plays bass and guitar amps)

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Because the 18" will likely take way less power than your 610 and won't have nearly as much output, which often leads to more turning up, which often leads to blowing the weaker cab. In your case, the head went first.