Treble Bleed Mod

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by erikmilan1987, Feb 18, 2010.

1. erikmilan1987

erikmilan1987

Feb 1, 2010
    Im making a treble bleed volume system on my jazz bass and i have a few questions before going for it...

1. What capacitor value would be nice to fit in there to maintain the tone when i put down the volume ?

2. I have 2 volume controls on it so iguess i have to put a capacitor on each volume pot... Do they need to be exactly the same value to sound great ?

Thats it... Thanks for those who take their time to post

2. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    I've done this on many guitars but never a bass. On strat guitars, I use a 220k resistor twisted together (i.e. in parallel) with a 680pf capacitor across the hot and center lugs of the volume pot. If you don't put the resistor in parallel with the capacitor, the volume taper will change and you'll get an abrupt volume drop instead of a smooth taper.

Experimenting with different values is cheap albeit time consuming. Good luck!

3. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    If you search for "treble bleed" you will find boat loads of info on this. I know, because i just read through 12 pages of the same search last night trying to determine what i should do too....:)

I am going with a .001mfd Orange drop cap on both my volumes on both my jazz'es....will try it without the resistor first, and then add it later to see the difference.

Good Luck!

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021