Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trevor Roy Dunn

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Moongarm, May 10, 2004.

1. Moongarm

Moongarm

Apr 10, 2004
    I'm sure it's been stated a bunch before but... He has to be one of the best Bass players out there today. Such an amazing, and versitile bassplayer. Great tone, superb technique, excelent bass lines. I've been a fan of Bungle, Fantomas and his newer projects for a long time now and always thought he was a great bassist.

Now that I'm learning the ropes and starting to play bass more than occasionally, I'm just floored at his ability and appreciate it on a whole new level. His playing is sending my drive to learn through the roof right now and I'm eating it up with two spoons and a fork. His playing influence on me just may be the thing that drives me from being a guitar/bass player to a bass/guitar player.

Anyway back to the regularly scheduled Wooten worship...

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Dunn = The Man.

One of my favorites too. He manages to put great bass playing in avante garde music... very cool. He's not very flashy in the fantomas, but he holds everything together (what there is to be held together) and thunderous tone. I saw the fantomas a while back, hell-u-va show! It's amazing they can reproduce what they do on album live. It proves how well thought out their music really is.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

yeah it's been DUNN before :rolleyes: :p

:D

(he's a fantastic bassist)

4. i'm sorry stupidmatt, but i've gotta say it. it's not THE fantomas. it's just fantomas. it's been driving me up a wall for quite a while. love you like a stepchild, but i had to throw that out there.

a woman's work is trevor dunn.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    But when referring to a band, it sounds grammatically incorrect (which is something I know oh so much about... ask Blackbird ;) ) when someone says, "My favorite band is Fantomas" or something to that effect. So Fantomas drive me up the wall with their band name. ;)

6. that's fair. i guess.

i saw dunn at the jazz house in berkeley a couple years ago. solo set, upright bass. ches smith backed him up on drums for a few numbers, and there was a sax player occasionally. all this, and free beer. best two bucks i ever spent.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Wow, that's awesome. Sounds worth 2 bucks. ;)

8. some japaneese trio opened. one guy on flute, two guys on those big wierd dulcimer things. great great show. best part, it was two blocks from my house. well within stumbling distance.

9. Moongarm

Moongarm

Apr 10, 2004
    Wow that sounds like such a great show. Especially for two bucks!

I've been working on learning a few of his basslines from the self titled Mr.Bungle album the past week. It's amazing how much more you appreciate a musician once you learn what they've written. It's also amazing how much my fingers hurt heh.

I think I may use the songs I've been learning as advanced transcribing practice as well. As if I wasn't already a big enough glutton for punishment.

10. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Dosn't he also play bass in the last Faith No More album? Or what it the Bungle guitarist?

11. trey on guitar. that was more of a patton solo album that an FNM album anyway.
    look at trevor's site for his discography. just run a google search, it's one of the first links. lots of interesting stuff.

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Didn't trey play guitar on King for a Day as well?

13. yup.

14. Kyuss80

Kyuss80

May 11, 2004
    Panama City, FL
    Trey ONLY played on King For A Day.

The other guy was ... John Hudson or something, he was only with FNM for Album of the Year, they broke up after that album.

FNM was:

Chuck (vocalist - replaced by Patton on The Real Thing)
    Mike Patton (vocals, duh)

Jim Martin (guitars from start until King for a Day, where Trey Spruance replaced him)

Trey (see above, from Bungle)

Billy Gould (Bassist from start to finish -- also involved with Brujeria)

Roddy Bottom (keyboards, backing vox from start to finish -- last seen in Imperial Teen (?)

Trevor was never involved with FNM, just Trey -- and Trey did really damn good too, KFAD is probably my favorite FNM album. He left because it was almost like he was never in the band, if you look in the liner notes there is no picture of him, but one of everyone else... at the end of the band members it says "Guitars by Trey Spraunce".. pretty lame. I'd be ticked, but I love Mike Patton, he is amazing. There's an new article on him in Terrorizer.

Anyway, figured I'd clear that up, I was a big FNM fan back in the day, and still love em -- though I never saw them live :crying:

15. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    From what I heard, it was just the opposite. Patton left because the band wrote it without him and he didn't like what the album sounded like.

Trevor is an amazing bassist. Love Debs and Cents

16. bah. one way or the other, FNM isn't together and that sucks.

17. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    No argument there.
    One of the only bands with a synth that I liked.

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    This is what the music sounds like to me. I think album of the year is their best sounding album, followed by Angel Dust, followed by King for a Day, followed by The Real thing... Introduce yourself doesn't count. :spit:

19. Kyuss80

Kyuss80

May 11, 2004
    Panama City, FL
    King for a Day is my favorite, I only dislike about 1 song on the album... Album of the Year has about 2 bad songs, Angel Dust has 0 bad songs, TRT has 0 bad songs.. Introduce Yourself has about.. 3 good songs :spit:

And I sure as hell won't count We Care A Lot (first album)

One of my favorite FNM songs though, is a B-side remake of "As The Worm Turns" (originally from WCAL, I think) with Mike on vocals instead of Chuck. I believe it was on Angel Dust Japanese version.. you can download it online though :)

20. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    im under the impression that bill and mike wrote the majority of AOTY. infact i think after jim left/fired bill, mike and puffy wrote most of the music. in any event, the greastest band of the late 80's early/mid 90's.

anyway, trevor is by far one of the best bassists out there today. he really excells in avant garde, however, can really be down to earth too.