Tribute Bands

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by GavinJC, Mar 21, 2019.

1. GavinJC

GavinJC

Feb 26, 2019
    Billings Montana
    Am I the only one who absolutely hates cover bands? I've seen multiple YouTube videos, done plenty of research, and physically seen cover/tribute bands; and I don't understand how people in their right mind will actually see cover bands, much less pay money to see/hear them. I'm a pretty big Beatles fan, and the amount of cover bands is honestly sickening. We don't need copycats. I'm gonna quote a blog I found that absolutely expressed what I have been saying:

"It still seems like a crazy idea to pay to see a band play songs exactly as another band used to play them. That's not art, it's theft!

The whole "Tribute Band" idea is a complete scam, that allows musicians without enough imagination to create their own music to make a living doing someone else's. If you had real talent, you'd make your own music." "Somehow, people get away with this lame mimicry in the music business. Can you imagine some other art form where people legally make a good living doing other's material? Name a re-make of a classic film that got any respect....and if it did, the director put a new twist on the film." "Yet tribute bands have national followings, and I'm sure there isn't a city in the country without at least one group of 4 guys, one of whom plays bass left-handed, who are trying to be the Beatles. And here is the absolute dumbest thing: They sell CD's! That's right, people pay good money to buy a CD of a bunch of hacks trying to copy the work of great artists, when they could buy the CD of the real band instead."

This guy is totally correct. Everything he said was spot on. Here's a link to the blog if you're interested in checking it out: The Tall Thin Guy: Why Tribute Bands Suck .

Regardless, tribute bands are just trying to mooch off of other bands careers. Change my mind.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I'm sure you're not the only one with your opinion. I like a good cover band. The guy who wrote that blog seems like a frustrated and jealous douchebag.

3. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I blame the audiences.

I’d much rather play my original compositions but, no, all they wanna hear is Free Bird.

The market has spoken.

4. Ok, but how do you REALLY feel about it?

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Of course, you're allowed to have your opinion.

That being said, I LOVE both playing in AND going to see great cover bands. It's a great way to play some of my favorite music all at once. And it's a great way to celebrate a night out with friends to go hear a great cover band play a ton of my favorite music.

I also love originals bands..... assuming they don't suck.

To each his/her own.

6. Skokiaan

Skokiaan

Jun 19, 2004
    New Jersey
    So you must really hate orchestras.

FYI: The Beatles were a cover band for many years, not introducing much original material into their act until late 1961. They continued to record covers until 1965 and play them live until they stopped touring in 1966.

7. GavinJC

GavinJC

Feb 26, 2019
    Billings Montana
    The Beatles put their own twist on it. So much so that most people don't know it's a cover. They we're unique. The people that are tribute bands are lazy and can't become their own band. They have to copy the Beatles because they have no creativity.

8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    That Yoyo Ma is a damn thief.

9. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I've seen the New York Philharmonic many times. Are they lazy and can't come up with their own work because they have no creativity?

10. GavinJC

GavinJC

Feb 26, 2019
    Billings Montana
    They do the same thing the Beatles did. They put their own unique style into the songs they cover. The New York Philharmonic is made of up of insanely talented musicians i could only dream of becoming. I never said anything about orchestras being bad. So don't go around putting words in my mouth. Not okay. This thread i made is about TRIBUTE BANDS.

11. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    So every time a group of classical musicians play the Brandenburg concertos, they're doing it with a unique style? Can you point me to a Philharmonic performance where they make stylistic choices in a classical standard?

12. GavinJC

GavinJC

Feb 26, 2019
    Billings Montana
    Where are you even getting this from?!?! I have never said anything about orchestras. Frankly this whole thread is about Tribute Bands and how i personally don't like them. I respect orchestras. But they're not a Tribute/Cover Band. Thats not even what im talking about. I'm not sure why you keep talking about orchestras.

13. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Because you're saying a band that doesn't play original music is mooching. Why aren't classical musicians who aren't playing original music mooching?

14. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I’ve played in tribute and cover bands (Dream Theater, Rush, Porcupine Tree) and I even make video bass covers Dream Theater, Zappa, Liquid Tension Experiment, etc. Click the link below.

So I have no talent. Fair enough.

Pick up your bass and you’re welcome to sit in on Instrumedley anytime.

15. I don’t personally make an effort to see cover bands. I play in one, sometimes several, and can respect what they do on that level, but it’s not something I’d ever plan an evening around.

HolmeBass likes this.
  16. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    But not classical musicians?
    Classical music.
    Because if you unpack your idea it falls apart.

17. GavinJC

GavinJC

Feb 26, 2019
    Billings Montana
    THAT'S NOT ME THAT SAID THAT!! The guy in the blog was a bit overboard but the gist of what he was saying is what i agreed with. I should've said in the beginning that i'm talking about cover BANDS. Orchestra and classical music is a completely different genre and frankly world of music. I respect it but it's not my favorite music to listen to.

18. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY

19. GavinJC

GavinJC

Feb 26, 2019
    Billings Montana
    Yeah that guy was right. And i stand by what i said about him being right. But neither he nor myself talked about orchestra/classical music. None. He said cover band and i said cover band. None of this has anything to do with Classical music. I have no idea why you keep bringing this up.

20. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I might not be communication my point clearly.

There are bands like Beatles tribute bands. You and the guy dislike these bands and think they're copycats and it's dumb that people buy their stuff. The guy says, and you agree, that if they had any real talent they would make their own music.

But, I'm arguing that classical musicians do all the things a Beatles tribute band does and you don't have the same problem with them.

My point is that it's hypocritical and irrational.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 24, 2021