Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trinity microphone with fishman preamp (would that work ??)

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by crocau, Oct 13, 2004.

1. I am a bassmax user (on the G string side), with fishman preamp and trace elliott combo amp and I am always recording my jamsessions with a minidisc with the sony microphone ECM-something. On the recordings, I sound so much better unplugged !

I came to the conclusion my next step was a microphone. Since I love K&K's products and the price is good :

-Can I use the trinity solo with my fishman B2 preamp ??

-Can I combine the trinity and the bassmax with a Y-wire and through the fishman preamp ?? (And get decent results ?)

-Are the K&K preamps much better than fishman's ?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Not sure about your main questions , but just wanted to comment on the Trace Elliott combo amp - I hate these things!! ;)

Sorry about that - now to be more objective - I've discussed this before many times and it is definitely the case that TE amps are "coloured" with a bias that suits rock music, but to my ears is horrible for faithfully reproducing what comes into it!

In England - TE gear is very common and every rehearsal space seems to have one of their bass amps - and I notice a huge difference when I play through one of these and when I use my own gear - EAVL208 cab - which is great for DB and EUB , with Eden amp - or through a small GK combo.

Anyway - my feeling is that TE gear may suit some players, especially for rock BG - but it doesn't faithfully reproduce an acoustic tone - so maybe you should look at this first...?

3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    You can use the Golden Bullet Mic with the Fishman preamp, but you'll have to purchase the kit with the small interface box with the 1/4" output. Condenser mics like the Golden Bullet require a power supply, and that Fishman preamp does not have that facility.

No. For the same reason as above, you'll need to power the mic, and besides, I doubt the signal levels would be equal. You'd need a two channel preamplifier with the capability of powering a mic.

The Golden Trinity Upgrade system would give you both the mic and the appropriate two channel preamp.

4. Thanks for the advise Bruce, I guess you are right, Trace Elliot aren't the best for the upright. I'll try to trade it for a SWR Workingman.

Thanks for the expertise Bob. I'll save pennies for a while to buy the trinity upgrade, i guess.