1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trouble Shooting New Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Robert Spencer, Jun 14, 2014.

1. I just unboxed a new Ampeg BA 108. The sound is distorted through the speaker but sounds fine through the earphones. I have to suspect that the speaker is faulty but it seems most unlikely that a new amp would have a blown speaker. I know absolutely nothing about amps. Any guidance in trouble shooting to find the solution will be appreciated.

I received this amp the day before going into the hospital for six weeks or I would simply return it for exchange or refund, As it is I need to be able to make the needed repairs myself. There is no warranty beyond thirty days from receiving. Thanks.

2. You may try writing a "real" letter by snail mail to the manufacturer or store to explain your situation, there is a chance they can help you out. Be courteous and try to dwell on the positive: "I was looking forward to using this amp since I had heard so many good things about them" for example, "but unfortunately I suddenly had to go into the hospital before I could even plug the amp in..."

Worth a shot, won't cost anything and it's better than you having to try to sort it out.

edit: You may also see if you can contact "hodgy" here, he works there.

3. theAntihero

theAntihero

May 9, 2010
    It could be a faulty speaker connection, if the headphones are working its definitely the speaker cone is torn, or the speaker faulty or its the wiring

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sorry about your experience in the hospital. Glad you're out.

I've got a BA108, and there is always a little bit of harmonic distortion inherent in it, but it shouldn't be hit-you-over-the-head obvious. If it is, does it happen at all volume levels or is there a certain point on the dial it kicks in? Usually with non-master Ampegs, they will start distorting around 11:00-12:00, and the BA108 is no exception...that's just the way non-master amps work.

5. after listening again i am going to edit my description to read "sounds like reverb" when played through the speaker at all volume levels. This is a much more accurate term for what it sounds like. Does not sound like a torn or punctured speaker but just like reverb at all settings & volume levels. No adjusting it out at all or to any degree.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    That's really weird. Well it does have a 2-year warranty, so if nobody else has any ideas, call or email Ampeg on Monday.

7. Nashville said " You may also see if you can contact "hodgy" here, he works there." I have done so.

8. hodgy

hodgy

May 5, 2004
    Bothell, WA
    Customer Support- Ampeg/ Line 6
    What Jimmy said. 2 year warranty. Call Loud.

9. Explain your situation and ask them to fix or replace. Show them proof you were in the hospital for 6 weeks from the purchase and I doubt they would give you trouble. Also hopefully your recovery went well for whatever it was!

10. I am going to take the liberty of bumping this thread in the hope that it will be of help in figuring out the problem with the new amp. Any help will be appreciated.

11. Did you contact Loud?

12. Loud? I do not understand. Please explain. Paying two way postage on a $100 amp is not good math if it is something i am able to isolate & correct from here.

13. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Shipping in Alaska can get expensive.

I don't have a schematic for that model, you could request one from Loud, they will email it to you. The bock diagram indicated that the headphone and speaker out are connected together but that may not be the case when you look inside. But often the headphone is tapped off the speaker out. So like you said, likely that the speaker has an issue.

It would be good to check out the rest of the amp, the effect in and out, the line out, and the CD in.

You need to determine if the speaker is loose and it's mechanically buzzing or if the distortion is coming out the speaker. Use finger tightness to determine if the speaker is tight enough. The best test for the speaker is to disconnect it from the amp and test it with another amp. If you don't have another amp, the headphone out of another device can be tried. It won't be loud but it might be enough to determine if the speaker is distorting.

14. thanks beans. i`ll give it a try. i don`t understand Loud, can you explain?

15. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Loud is the company that owns the Ampeg brand, as well as a number of other makes, they are Ampeg. Here is their customer support page: http://www.ampeg.com/support.html. If you want to request a copy of the schematic, send an email to TechnicalSupport@loudtechinc.com

On TB, as was mentioned, you can send a personal message to Hodgy (Start a Conversation) who works for Loud in customer service and can advise you what best to try.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Don't know, but the Eminence Alpha 8a seems to be a popular choice for that purpose. Did you ever call LOUD, though?

17. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    As Jimmy said, the Eminence Alpha 8A would be a good match. It's designed for musical instrument applications. Ampeg's speakers are made by Eminence. Here it is from Orange County Speakers in California: http://www.speakerrepair.com/page/product/01-802.html

You want an 8 ohm speaker. I would want it to be able to handle at least 75W, more is better. The amps is rated at 25W but it puts out more in peaks when you are playing. I'm not familiar with the JBL speaker that you asked about. It could work well in your amp, I just don't know.

One test that you can do is remove the speaker from the cabinet and see if it still buzzes when it is outside of the cabinet. If the speaker frame has uneven pressure on it (this can happen if it's torqued down unevenly by the fasteners), you can get a buzzing.

18. the speaker looks good and is not loose.
    i will call Loud tomorrow. sunday may not be a good time

19. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Sounds like you did whatever tests that you could on your own.