1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Troubleshooting Amp/Cab Distortion - Help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Smallmouth_Bass, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I am running a Trace AH350SM (350 watt) head into an Eden 210XLT and 115. The tweeter is producing all kinds of buzz and distortion at all volumes. When I turn the tweeter all the way down, that gets rid of that but then I am noticing some "unnatural" distortion - that farty sound - as well and I am not sure where it is coming from.

The overload light on the amp is not lighting, so I don't think it's the amp clipping. It also seems to be happening at all volume levels. After an inspection of the speakers, I do not see any tears or anything. I've set all controls flat and plugged directly into the amp and the basses I've tried it with are passive (no dead batteries). Both cabs are 8 ohms and the head accepts a 4 ohm load, so that should be ok.

Any suggestions?

2. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    That overload light is only for preamp clipping, not power clipping. However you said it's at all volumes! I have the same problem but only at medium-high volumes, and that's because I need more power.

Try a different cable perhaps?

You could have blown the tweeter, and then the buzzing you hear might be it rattling, but that's a bit of a long shot.

3. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Unfortunately you have to play the tedious process of elimination game. As simpy said, try a different cable.

Then try the head with each cabinet by itself.

Then try your head with another cabinet.

Then a different head with your cabs.

At which point you'll probably have figured out where the problem is.

Lets hope it's nothing too serious.

4. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Well, I've just tried each cabinet separately and with different speaker cables and it's still happening. Unfortunately, I don't have another head available to try out, but that's the direction it's pointing in right now.

The thing that gets me is it's at all volumes. I can understand if I was on 7 or 8 and it was clipping, but it's at 1 and still doing the same thing. I guess I have to go and see the repair man! :crying:

5. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Could be an output FET. Repair man ahoy!

6. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    As it turns out it was the head and nothing major. A few solders here and there and she's as good as new!