1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Troubleshooting GK MB112 amp & Apogee ONE

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by willrocks, Jun 13, 2012.

1. willrocks

willrocks

Mar 16, 2012
    Hello

I am trying to record my GK MB112 amp into my Apogee ONE through my Mac. I am using the Direct XLR Out on the amp, into the XLR input on the breakout cable. I cannot get the ONE to register a signal. I contacted Apogee and they sent me a new breakout cable, but that did not help. Any suggestions on troubleshooting the amp or Apogee? I unfortunately do not have anything else with an XLR out to test. I purchased both the amp and the XLR cable brand new a couple months ago, and the Apogee about a year ago. Any suggestions?

I am new to recording.

2. willrocks

willrocks

Mar 16, 2012
    What exactly is a 'Direct Out' anyway? I thought I could plug from this XLR out jack on the bass directly into the input on my Apogee and record. Maybe this is not even possible?

3. You should be able to connect the Direct out to the Apogee XLR input BUT don't use the phantom power.

According to the users manual:

"Connecting a Microphone

• Connect ONE’s breakout cable to the rear panel connector, and connect the microphone to the ONE breakout cable’s (XLR) input.
    • Open Apogee Maestro software and select Ext Mic in the Input menu. When using a phantom-powered mic, select Ext 48V Mic. To answer questions concerning 48V phantom power, please see page 24.
    • If your microphone is equipped with a 1/4” mono jack output, connect it to the breakout cable’s (1/4”) input.
    • In the Maestro Input menu, select Inst."

Follow the instruction as if you were connecting a mic BUT don't turn on the phantom power.

4. Try this if it still doesn't work, according to the users manual:

"Connecting an Instrument

• Connect a guitar, bass or keyboard to the ONE breakout cable’s (1/4”) input.
    • Open Apogee Maestro software and select Inst in the Input menu."

Heres a link to the users manual if you don't already have it:
    http://apogeedigital.com/downloads.php