1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Troubleshooting Sunn 2000s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by opivy3056, Sep 8, 2008.

1. opivy3056

opivy3056 stardust in a light beam

Oct 14, 2004
    San Diego
    Hey fellas,

Im gonna bring the amp to a tech soon (short on cash atm) but I'm wondering what might be wrong with it.

My Sunn 2000s is a 1969 with a solid state rectifier. Lately I cant get nearly as much volume out of it as I used to, it distorts rather early as well. I used to be able to not crank it past 4 and a half or so on the volume, but now I cant get any clean headroom. Its weird.

I have no idea how old the tubes are....but I'm guessing theyre pretty aged.

I'm praying that its not a transformer. Diagnosis???

-Thanks!

2. Loudthud

Loudthud

Dec 25, 2007
    Dallas Texas
    Things I'd check in no particular order, power tubes, filter caps, output switching jack. Does the amp have the correct fuse or a circuit breaker? Have you been unsing the standby switch correctly? How many speaker cabinets do you use and are they the correct impedance? I wouldn't worry about the transformers unless you have been abusing the amp.

3. opivy3056

Oct 14, 2004
    San Diego
    I think I've been using the standby switch correctly.

I'd also like to add that it makes random scratchy noises sometimes. (although quiet, theyre audible)

Ive been using either the 2x15 that matches it or my Schroeder 410R.

4. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Since you live only about 30 min. away I will take that raggedy piece of dog doo off your hands. It weighs too much it uses tubes:eek: and most of all it's old. In fact I'll let you pay me $50 bucks to drive it over to my house. I played those when they were new and wouldn't think of you suffering through this another minute. Oh you have the cab too. Shame. Okay I'm so embarrassed for you. I will really help you out. What a sucker you have been to use up space at your house for such junk.
    So that being said the idea that you would have it worked on and spend more money is just wrong. PM me and I will gladly relieve you of this stain on your reputation.

5. opivy3056

Oct 14, 2004
    San Diego
    haha! I'm going to have it worked on, I just wanted to make sure its not going to be something that costs a half grand to repair.

6. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    As far as I know, there's only one way to find that out for sure...;)

I agree with what Loudthud said, but depending on how fast it went south my first suspect would be filter caps. Most power tube issues I've experienced caused slower power degradation (not to say one couldnÂ’t just flame out on you, particularly if you pound on the amp regularly). If it went weak all of a sudden I would suspect it to be a jack or some other electro/mechanical issue.
    That's amp is a tough old hoss. Pretty straight forward, easy to fix for any competent tech.

7. opivy3056

Oct 14, 2004
    San Diego
    Being the responsible 19 year old owner of a 40 year old amplifier... I took it to the shop yesterday.

I'll update this thread as soon as I get a diagnosis.