1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TRS phone jack?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Skel, Jul 3, 2005.

  1. Skel


    Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I am going to connect an external effects processor to my power mixer, using the mixer's send / return 1/4" jacks. The effects processor also has 1/4" input and output jacks, and specifies that these jacks are TRS phone jacks. Also on my power mixer, the "return" jack is 1/4" and says "left/right return".

    What kind of cables do I need? I called guitar center, and they say I need a special cable - not an ordinary instrument cable or speaker cable. Is this correct? I have been burned a few times in the past by GC people, so again, I apologize for posting this thread.

    I would really appreciate somebody here helping me out.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. ddnidd1

    ddnidd1 Supporting Member

    A TRS jack is a standard stereo jack. I would 'assume' the left/right jack is also stereo.
  3. pbd

    pbd Commercial User

    Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    What kind of board do you have? Do they have 'inserts'? Are the 'send/return' jacks on your board a single jack per channel (thus insert)? An insert will use one 1/4 jack to send and return to effects. An insert cable will use a single plug from your board(insert), go to your effects rack then split into two 1/4 inch for the send and return. If your board has a separate send and return 1/4" then you'll simply need a balanced 1/4" (TRS). An instrument cable (TS) will work but allows ambient signal into your channel.

    Clear as mud? :)
  4. TL5


    Jun 27, 2005
    Actually I read your post wrong, a 'left/right' return sounds like a straight ahead stereo return. You could use the insert cable, on the double T/S end put one into the right output, the other into the left output of the effects device. Then place the T/R/S into the "left/right return" jack on the mixer for a stereo return from the effect.

    I'm leaving the information about inserts - posted below anyway.

    Skel it sounds to me that you are describing the insert connection on amixer for an effects loop.
    In that case, yes, you'd need a specialized 'insert cable'.

    It's rather simple actually, it's a T/R/S 1/4" on one end that splits (Y's) into two 1/4" T/S. A pre-made insert cable is usually labled and color coded. This allows you to 'insert' an effects/dynamic processor on the input of a channel strip.

    The mixer should indicate which part of the connector is the send and return. If the 'tip' is the send, with the 'ring' being the return, you would plug then in the effects device tip to 'in', ring to out.

Share This Page