1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trus-rod warping over time?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by raymondp44, Dec 14, 2011.

1. raymondp44

raymondp44

Aug 9, 2010
    If I take the strings off and remove the neck, will the tension from the trus-rod bow the neck over time (about 1 month) without the force of the strings?

I'm asking because I'm attempting to plug in a hole in my Fender P-bass head. The previous owner tried to convert it into a 5 stringer. :meh:

The guy who is going to do this for me is going to have the neck off for a while. It's also gonna take a while for Fender to get me a new decal.

Thanks

2. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    If it's going in for repair, why not just slack off the truss rod?

3. The truss rod doesn't warp (as per the title), but the neck might. Just slack the tension on the truss rod and renew it as part of the setup when the work is done.

If the work is going to take a week or so, I wouldn't worry about it. if it's going to take a month (shouldn't) then you might slack it.

4. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    A couple of days won't really harm anything, but a month is a long time. And that presumes that there are no unforeseen delays. If it were my instrument, I'd loosen the truss rod all the way. If you take the neck off for an extended time, there's no harm in loosening the truss rod... but possible harm if you leave it fully tightened.

5. raymondp44

raymondp44

Aug 9, 2010
    Thanks for the replies. The reason the bass is away for so long is they close over the festive season for a while until January.

I think the best thing is to wait until I receive the decal from Fender then I can give the go ahead to do the repairs.

6. Hi.

You most likely have to tweak the truss rod anyway when you set up the bass, so why not loosen the tension?

I've had necks (TR's) under tension for a few years with no ill effects, but it's always a good thing to be cautious.

Keeping the neck under TR tension might be harmful, especially if the TR doesn't quite work like it should, but loosening the TR won't hurt anything.

Regards
    Sam

7. Don't worry about it so much. The neck isn't made of glass.

Slack the truss rod, give them the bass and do your Christmas shopping. :p