Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Truss rod adjusting...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 555, May 14, 2004.

1. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    2 days ago i tuned my 5 string bass from standard B to A (full step drop) i raised the saddle heights too because my strings were buzzing quite abit.

That didn't fix the problem so i had to adjust the truss rod which i did yesterday, to my knowledge if i tune down, i have to turn the truss rod to the right for about 1/4 of a full 360 turn to tighten the neck don't i?

And if i tune up, i have to turn the truss tod to the left to loosen the neck right?

Thanks!

2. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    No, if you tune up the truss rod would compensate by being tightened. If you tune down, the TR would have to be loosened.

Just keep in mind that the truss rod is one half of a balanced truss system. If the strings are loosened, the TR must be loosened also to maintain a given relief.

You may have to go more or less than a quarter turn to get the reults that you're after. The "quarter turn" thing is simply to prevent one from going too far and damaging the TR. You may have to go more than a half turn (rare) or as little as less than 1/8 turn to reach the correct relief. Just be sure that you only go 1/4 turn at a time to prevent overshooting the adjustment.

Harrell S

3. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    Oh no! i adjusted the truss rod wrong then darn! lol ok i best go turn it back 1/4 to loosen the truss rod, let it set over the night and turn it to the left again to loosen the truss rod.

thanks for your help and time :cool:

4. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    Oh i forgot to add that the buzzing was only on frets 2-4 on like 3 strings... do i still loosen the truss rod? isn't it if it buzzes on frets 1-11, you gotta tighten it? And frets 12 beyond, loosen the rod?

5. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    You are partly right. Adjust the TR to eliminate buzz in the first few frets ( loosen TR). Adjust the bridge height to elminate buzz on the highest(fret 12 and above) few notes.
    Go to the Fender or the Gary Willis web site for a good overview on setup. A pix is worth a lot of words. :)

Harrell S

6. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    Sweet fast reply! thanks PKR2! *hats off to you* :D

Yeh i have the gary willis website saved on my favourites already.

7. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

8. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K