Truss rod experience

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by vondran, Jul 30, 2013.

1. vondran

vondran

May 13, 2012
    I like setting up my guitar and bass necks vary flat. One thing I noticed is I can get the necks pretty close to flat, but at some point the truss rod just will not turn any further. Even thought all manufactures indicate you can get a back bow by tightening, I've never experienced it no matter how tight I adjust the truss rod. Not that I'd want backbow, I just don't think one can get it on some necks, at least the ones on my guitars and basses.

My thought is at some point the truss rod is as much trying to compress the neck as it is trying to bend it back, so at that time it's just not going any further with tightening. Also, I can see a one piece neck or a neck with a veneer fretboard bending back, but a glued on slab fretboard (be it rosewood, ebony, or maple) with its grain going in a different direction would resists a backbow as the fretboard would need to be stretched as the neck bends back.

Anyone else have this same experience? Again, I'm not trying to get backbow, I'm must curious if I'm the only one that has experienced this.

2. Guygrooves

Guygrooves Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Clearwater Florida
    I have been able to tighten the rod to the point of "hyperextension". Basically the bass frets out badly beyond the 5th to the 1. The rod will snug up and not move more so don't go cranking cuz bad things can happen. Along with truss adjustment goes bridge saddle adjustment.. All necks differ.. I've had a few where I couldn't get enough adjustment to get the action good.I had to put washers on my truss on my geddy jazz and it worked! Laid flat and played so much better. I've sold those I can't get where I want. Some people may shim the neck.. I only roll the truss and adjust my saddle height. Have fun-be careful!

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021