1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Truss Rods

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by HogieWan, Apr 22, 2010.

1. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    Are there any benefits to using a 2-way truss rod over a traditional rod besides the ability to correct a back-bowed neck?

2. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Do you mean Fender style as "traditional" or do you mean single action dual rod or do mean box truss as traditional?

3. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    There are no benefits to using that style. There is no practical math to support them as being a good idea.

A dual rod dual action rod is the best you can get.

4. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    So, the only reason people still put them in necks is that it is "traditional"?

I was thinking that because they go in a curved channel, you could change the curve of the relief in the neck by changing the shape of the channel (not that I see any need for that)

5. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    ...yes, you could.

However, you would be squeezing wood with metal hoping to get it to move. With a dual rod you are putting tension in metal causing metal to bend and actually making the wood bend.

"Traditional" truss rods are only still in use for the same reasons people still spray nitro. - - Because Leo did it that way.

6. Cy_Miles

Cy_Miles

Feb 3, 2005
    I am claiming no opinion here, I've only used the dbl action rods so far.

But I do know a local builder with a good reputation that swears he gets more sustain out of his necks with single curved rods. He maintains the only benefit to the dbl action rods is they are easier to install, but that they reduce the amount of wood in the neck since the channel required is deeper.

7. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    He may also believe that the tone is much better with a traditional...

8. But the traditional anchored truss rod has it's downsides as well. There are at least two sides to every story and is a reason why even two highly regarded physicians can disagree on a particular medical issue.

But then it can be argued that the only benefit of a traditional anchored truss rod is it's low cost. Yet it isn't as effective as a beam style single or double action truss rod and puts a great deal of undue stress on the neck... a "weakness" that has been evident for quite awhile and was the reason the Bunker Tension Free neck was designed over 20 years ago.

But of course the bottom line is that the best truss rod is the one that is preferred by the builder/owner.

9. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Most people spray nitro because it is preferred by many for ease of use and clarity of the finish. Restorations require nitro finishes for the purist. What does Leo Fender have to do with nitro...Adolph Rickenbacker was using it 20 years before "Leo". And gershintz was using a blended shellac much akin to Lacquer 100 years before Rickenbacker. As for truss rods, Ted McHugh may argue the effectiveness of his original tr design, the design works well for it's intended purpose, 2 way rods are popular mostly for the ease of install along with 2 way action. It makes it easier and has a lesser learning curve, and 1/2 the labor to use.

10. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Fender is to nitro what Ford was to enamel; except Ford was able to reinvent his company.

There is no excitement about Ric releasing a nitro version. For some reason there is much more hype from Fender fans doing that.

Polyester is easier and clearer yet only a few builders are using it.

11. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    I knew that the 2-way was easier to route for and I wondered if the older style had any benefits. The only benefit of the older style rods I have heard so far is that more neck wood is left after carving the channel

12. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    The volume of wood difference in infinitesimal.

13. Cy_Miles

Cy_Miles

Feb 3, 2005
    If nothing else I like your confidince.
    And I am not trying to argue, in fact I would tend to think your right Mikey.
    I am just responding to the OP that there are difference of opinions from builders and players with much more experience than me.

14. rdrr

rdrr

Mar 29, 2005
    Newburyport MA
    What is all this fascination with the amount of sustain you can get out of process/method XXXX . How long does anybody really need to hold a note for that your average run of the mill bass wont do. Obviously you dont want something that sounds like a wet noodle but IMO really long sustain is way overrated.

15. gyancey

gyancey Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Traditional rods are also lighter. I've made the progression from Double-acting Hot Rods to Martin-style U-Channels to self-made traditional rods over the years.

16. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    + a billion.

I always find those kinds of claims so interesting, especially when the type of material used, the design, string brand and gauge, and bridge type are so rarely mentioned. At any rate, I play with mutes half the time anyway, sustain is definitely overrated on a bass...

17. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    that's the first real positive I have heard so far.

18. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Traditional rods are cheaper/easier to make also, I use 2 way rods for custom builds, I use standard rods for restos and retro fits of pre 1985 instruments. I have no real preference, just the 2 way is less work.

19. Cy_Miles

Cy_Miles

Feb 3, 2005
    Thank you.