1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tube Amps and Cold Rooms

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by amos, Feb 25, 2008.

1. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    So my all tube guitar amp is acting a little funny. I don't think it likes being pushed in a 50 degree room. I have it setup in our shop /storage area and when I push the tubes it drops in volume and I hear the tubes making clink noises. Is it the weather? Is it bad to push a tube amp in 50 degree F or colder rooms? I know tubes are thermionic and all that jazz, so I'm going to assume this is the reason it's doing that.

2. Thermionic, and with thier own heaters ;)

Had to google because you yanks use that pointless F scale for temperature.

I cant see that being the problem, 50F is 10C, and the thermometer in the clock thing at my pc is about 14 degrees C right now, and my amp works fine.

3. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    Lol:D:p:smug:

I think it's not that bad, the tubes get rid of their warmth pretty easily that way.

We in the band use our tube amps in a basement where it's almost as cold as outside in winter (sometimes only 4C) and when we fire up it's 22C in no time and no one has had any trouble in a couple of years!

4. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Yeah the problem could lie in the fact it's a peavey...err rather with the tubes themselves. Thing is they all tested out fine recently...preamp tubes possibly?

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've run tube amps in those temperatures and even colder with no problems. I don't think your problem is with the temperature.

6. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Okay, well I'm relieved I can still use my tube amp in the shop (addition to the house), however still afraid to crank the amp with the whole volume drop/static/clanky tink-tink sound that comes from the tubes when it happens (or at least it seems like it).