Tube DI's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CaptainRaab, Nov 13, 2004.

1. CaptainRaab

Nov 13, 2004
    I'm looking for a good DI. I play alot of travelling one-off gigs using backlines provided by promoters. I'm tired of getting weak tones through bad Hartke amps and banged up generic DI boxes.

So, I'm considering getting a DI box, and am kinda green, I don't know a whole lot about them, never gave them much thought. I know alot of people want a DI that will give them a good clean unaffected tone. Personally, I don't mind a DI that will color things a bit like a good amp would.

I've seen that Aguilar and Ampeg have some Tube DI boxes. Has anybody played through them? I've talked to people that have heard about them, but none who have actually played one.

I've had Sadowsky's DI box recommended to me by several people.

I play a ton of slapping with some Dub tones on some songs, my band has a heavy Fishbone influence. Can anybody recommend some DI boxes to me?

2. they actually have a hartke DI now so if you ever miss that tone you know what to do.

the ampeg svt di got a positive review in bass player. i would probably try the aguilar if cost was no object. i think the thing may even have a jenson trannie in it.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    No tubes, but you won't find much better than an Avalon U5. Or, for less coin and just the pure sound of your bass, try a Countryman Associates Type 85. Radial makes some bitchen DI's as well.
  4. CaptainRaab

Nov 13, 2004
    That's good it got a decent review. I really don't mind if it colors the tone. I'm really not in a position to buy a nice bass amp since I'm travelling to gigs and flying with a huge rig isn't in my cards. I basically want an "amp in a box" type thing. I'm not interested in the SAnsamp Bass driver, I've heard too much bad things about the tone...
  5. Well i think a little color is a great thing if you are just going into the board. who the hell would want a nuetral DI anyway? You might want to check out the Phil Jones bass brief case. It is pretty trick looking, ultra compact and has a balanced DI and optical comppressor. They are like 575 clams or something, so a little more than the ampeg. you can check them through as luggage since it is a little piece of luggage.
  6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    try the favorite di box thread in effects via a search lots of great info there
  7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    If you would like to contact me I can tell you a Tube pre DI, but can't post about it here.... sorry
  8. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    As the owner of an SVTDI, I highly recommend it.

You can even run it to the board with one out and to your SS amp with the other - adding that tube sound to both.
  9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Me for one. Every time I hear my bass come up over the control room monitors in a studio I wonder why bass amps don't sound like that :D

If you want color, buy a preamp, most have DI outs and you can color to your heart's content.
  10. I am a recording engineer/Bassist and use different ones in the studio, some DEFINITELY more than others!! Anyway I have used the all the boxes you mention here and currently have quite a number of others you did not from really cheap to really expensive!

Depending on your budget here goes....

Tubes for me Hands down would be a Demeter Tube DI - just some kind of MOJO in that box, the Aguilar is nice as well, both are MUCH better than the Ampeg

General purpose DI/Preamp (and just all around handy Dandy thing to have is the Sadowsky Floor Preamp/DI - The best of both worlds the Sadowsky tone and a REALLY good CLEAN DI to boot - one fo my favorites to have in a gig bag!!

The Countryman 85 is an industry standard is probably seen on more small stages (and big ones too) than any other DI - VERY dependable for the money and it will probably live longer than you if you take any care of it at all....I have a Countryman that is at least 10 or 12 years old and has been to he77 and back and is still working like a champ (I use it on keyboards though!!)

And Finally the icing on any cake is, as mentioned, the AVALON U5 - I use this for gigging, in the studio, on the stage, etc etc etc. this is THE ONE that is in most professional rigs and is THE most requested DI on an Equipment rider, This is THE BIG GUN in the DI game - to me (and a LOT of engineers) it has NO equal...VERY clean, open, sound of your instrument as is with the tone shaping off...and as a bonus, with the EQ contours that are available it can be voiced to suit a variety of tones for a variety of instruments...

If you have the scratch the AVALON U5 would be my overall pick...if you are a little finicky and want that "Tube o love thang" the Demeter would be second pick overall...mind you BOTH are a little pricey...PM Brian Barrett, I think he could hook up a fellow TBer for a good deal...(a really nice guy and knowledable about all your choices too!!)

Good Luck!

Peace and Chicken Grease,

11. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    tube di .. ?